Education: B.Eng, Ph.D. City University of Hong Kong
Tel.: (852) 2859-2705
Office: CB 610
Power Electronics; Smart Grid Technology; Wireless Power Transfer Technology; Planar Electromagnetics Design
Dr. Chi Kwan Lee received the BEng and Ph.D. Degrees in electronic engineering from the City University of Hong Kong (CityU) in 1999 and 2004, respectively. After graduation, he joined the Power Electronics Research Centre at the National University of Ireland, Galway as a Post-doctoral Research Fellow researching into solar power and battery management system. Afterwards, He was employed by a power electronics company as a Senior Engineer. During that time, He was invited to take part in the R&D project at the Delta Electronics Research Centre to design and develop the reactive power controller. He then worked at the Research Centre for Power Electronics in the CityU from 2006-08. In 2008, he joined the Hong Kong Polytechnic University as a Lecturer. He was invited by Imperial College London to be a Visiting Academic for the International Smart-Grid Research Program in summer 2010 and 2011. He joined the department as an Assistant Professor in 2012.
Dr Lee is author or coauthor of over 30 journal and conference papers. He is the co-inventor of 1 U.S. patent. He won the championship of the Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE) Hong Kong Younger Members Section Project Competition in 1999. Nationally, he received the merit for his project in the 6th Challenger Cup Competition of Science & Technology. He was awarded full scholarships for his postgraduate study. He is a member of IEEE and serves as a reviewer for numerous journals including IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics and IEEE Transactions on Circuit and System, Part I.
- Zhong W.X., Lee C.K. and Hui S.Y.R., “Wireless Power Domino-Resonator Systems with Non-coaxial axes and Circular Structures”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. (In press)
- Su Y.P., Liu X., Lee C.K. and Hui S.Y.R., “On the Relationship of Quality Factor and Hollow Winding Structure of Coreless Printed Spiral Winding (CPSW) Inductor”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. (In press)
- Lee C.K., Zhong W.X. and Hui S.Y.R., “Effects of Magnetic Coupling of Non-adjacent Resonators on Wireless Power Domino-Resonator Systems”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics (In press)
- Zhong W.X., Lee C.K. and Hui S.Y.R., “General Analysis on the Use of Tesla’s Resonators in Domino Forms for Wireless Power Transfer”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics (In press)
- Lee C.K., Su, Y.P. and Hui S.Y.R.; “Printed spiral winding inductor with wide frequency bandwidth “ IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 26, No. 10, October 2011, pp. 2936-2945
- Lee C.K., Li S.N. and Hui S.Y.R., “A design methodology for LED lighting systems driven by weakly-regulated renewable power grids”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 2, No. 3, September 2011, pp. 548-554.
- Lee C.K., Chan C.K.P. and Or S.W.D., “Loosely power flow control scheme for piezoelectric energy harvesting“, IET Electronics Letters, 9 Dec. 2010, vol. 46 No.25.
- Lee C.K. and Hui, S.Y.R., “Experimental comparison of traditional and alternating winding method for planar spiral inductor”, IET Electronics Letters, 4 Feb. 2010, vol. 46, No.3.
- Coleman M., Hurley W.G. and Lee C.K., ”An Improved Battery Characterisation Method using a Two Pulse Load Test”, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion. Vol. 23, issue 2, June 2008, pp. 708-713.
- Chan P.C.F., Lee C.K. and Hui S.Y.R, “Stray capacitance calculation of coreless planar transformers including fringing effects”, IET Electronics Letters, 8 Nov. 2007, vol. 43, No. 23.
- Coleman M., Lee, C.K., Zhu C.B. and Hurley W.G., “State-of charge determination from EMF voltage estimation: using impedance, terminal voltage, and current for lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 54, No 5, October 2007, pp. 2550-2557.
- Hurley W.G. and Lee C.K., “Development, implementation, and assessment of a web-based power electronics laboratory”, IEEE Transactions on Education vol. 48, issue 4, Nov. 2005, pp. 567-573.
- Lee, C.K., Leung S.Y., Hui S.Y.R. and Chung H.S.H., “Circuit-level comparison of STATCOM technologies“, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 18, issue 4, July 2003, pp. 1084-1092.
- Lee C.K., Hui S.Y.R. and Chung H.S.H., “A 31-level cascade inverter for power applications”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 49 issue: 3, June 2002, pp. 613-617.
- Lee C.K., Hui S.Y.R., Chung H.S.H. and Shrivastava Y., “A randomized voltage vector switching scheme for three-level power inverters”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 17, issue 1, Jan. 2002, pp. 94-100.