|Education: B.Sc. (Eng.) H.K.; M.Phil., Ph.D. Cambridge; C.Eng., F.I.E.T., F.H.K.I.E., Sen.M.I.E.E.E.
Tel.: (852) 2859-2675
Office: CB 601H
Robust control and filtering theory, system modeling, robotics, computer vision, biomedical engineering and bioinformatics.
YS Hung received his B.Sc. (Eng) degree in Electrical Engineering and B.Sc. degree in Mathematics, both from the University of Hong Kong and the M.Phil. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Cambridge. He has worked as a research staff at the University of Cambridge, and as a lecturer at the University of Surrey before he joined the University of Hong Kong in 1989, where he is now a professor. He has served as the head of the Department from 2004 to 2010. Dr Hung is a recipient of the HKUSU Best Teaching Awards’91. He has helped organized many regional and international conferences, and served on technical/executive committees of Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, IFAC and IEE Hong Kong Branch. He is a chartered engineer, a fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology U.K. (IET), a fellow of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE), and a senior member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
Professor Hung has extensive experience in control system design and its applications. He has previously collaborated with industrial companies including ICI and Hong Kong Electric Co. Ltd., and was a technical consultant to ASM Assembly Automation Ltd. during 2003-07. His research interests are in the areas of robust control and filtering theory, system modeling, robotics, computer vision, and more recently, biomedical engineering and machine learning techniques for bioinformatics. He has published one book, several book chapters, and over 150 papers in international journals and conferences.
- Y.Y. Leung and Y.S. Hung, “A multiple-filter-multiple-wrapper approach to gene selection and microarray data classification”, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, in press, 2010.
- Fei Mai, Y.S. Hung and G. Chesi, “Projective reconstruction of ellipses from multiple images”, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 545-556, 2010.
- Bo Geng, Xiaobo Zhou and Y.S. Hung, “Growing enzyme gene networks by integration of gene expression, motif sequence and metabolic information”, Pattern Recognition, vol. 42, No. 4, pp. 557-561, April 2009.
- A.D. Shieh and Y.S. Hung, “Detecting outlier samples in microarray data”, Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology, vol. 8, Issue 1, Article 13, 2009.
- D.L. Chu, Y.S. Hung and H.J. Woerdeman, “Inertia and rank characterizations of some matrix expressions”, SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, vol.31, No. 3, pp. 1187-1226, 2009.
- Bo Geng, Xiaobo Zhou, Y.S. Hung and Stephen Wong, "Comparison of Bayesian and regression models in missing enzyme identification", Int. J. Bioinformatics Research and Applications, Vol.4, No. 4, pp. 363-374, 2008.
- G. Chesi and Y.S. Hung, "Establishing convexity of polynomial Lyapunov functions and their sublevel sets", IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 53, No. 10, pp. 2431-2436, 2008.
- Fei Mai, Y.S. Hung, H. Zhong and W.F. Sze, "A hierarchical approach for fast and robust ellipse extraction", Pattern Recognition, Vol. 41, No. 8, pp. 2512-2524, 2008.
- G. Chesi and Y.S. Hung, "Global path-planning for constrained and optimal visual servoing", IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 1050-1060, 2007.
- H. Zhong and Y.S. Hung, "Multi-stage 3D reconstruction under circular motion", Image and Vision Computing, Vol. 25, Issue 11, pp. 1814-1823, 2007.
- Weichao Xu, Chunqi Chang, Y.S. Hung, S.K. Kwan and P.C.W. Fung, "Order statistics correlation coefficient as a novel association measurement with applications to biosignal analysis", IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 44, No. 12, pp. 5552-5563, 2007.
- Y.S. Hung and W.K. Tang, "Projective Reconstruction from Multiple Views with Minimization of 2D Reprojection Error", International Journal of Computer Vision, Vol. 66, No. 3, pp. 305-317, 2006.
- F. Wang, Z. Wang, Y. S. Hung and M. Gani, "H-infinity Control for Networked Systems with Random Communication Delays", IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 51, No. 3, pp. 511-518, 2006.
- F. Yang, Z. Wang, Y.S. Hung and H. Shu, "Mixed H2/H-infinity filtering for uncertain systems with regional pole assignment", IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 438-448, 2005.
- D.L. Chu and Y.S. Hung, "A numerically reliable solution for the squaring-down problem in system design", Applied Numerical Mathematics, Vol. 51, Issues 2-3, pp. 221-241, 2004.
- Y.S. Hung and F. Yang, "Robust H∞ filtering with error variance constraints for discrete time-varying systems with uncertainty", Automatica, Vol. 39, pp. 1185-1194, 2003.
- F.Yang and Y.S. Hung, "Robust mixed H2/H filtering with regional pole assignment for uncertain discrete-time systems", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems - I: Fundamental Theory and Applications, Vol. 49, No. 8, pp.1236-1241, 2002.
- Y.S. Hung and F.Yang, "Robust H filtering for discrete time-varying uncertain systems with a known deterministic input", International Journal of Control, Vol. 75, No. 15, pp. 1159-1169, 2002.
- F. Yang, Z. Wang and Y.S. Hung, "Robust Kalman filtering for discrete time-varying uncertain systems with multiplicative noises", IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 47, No. 7, pp. 1179-1183, 2002.
- Y.S. Hung and H.T. Ho, "A Kalman filter approach to direct depth estimation incorporating surface structure", IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 570-575, 1999.