Prof. P.Y.S. Cheung
B.Sc. (Eng.) Lond.; A.C.G.I.; Ph.D. Lond.; D.I.C., C.Eng., M.I.E.T., Sen.M.I.E.E.E.
Prof. Paul Y.S. Cheung
Biomedical engineering – medical electronics, biomedical signal processing, medical image processing and applications;
Computer systems – parallel processing architecture and algorithms for biomedical system simulation;
Paul Cheung is Professor in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Hong Kong and Programme Directors of MSc in E-Commerce and Internet Computing and Entrepreneurship Academy. He joined the University of Hong Kong in 1980 and served as Dean of Engineering from 1994-2000, and Associate Vice-President (Research) from 2012-15, Director of Technology Transfer Office and Managing Director of Versitech from 2004-2016. He was on secondment from the University to the Hong Kong Government as Policy Advisor of the Innovation and Technology Commission from 2002-04. Prior joining the Government, he was Corporate Senior Vice-President in technology, at PCCW responsible for the strategic development in technology for the Group while on leave from the University from 2000-02.
Professor Cheung received his BSc(Eng) and Ph.D. degrees from the Imperial College of Science and Technology, University of London, both in Electrical Engineering, in 1973 and 1978 respectively. His research interest and experience include biomedical engineering, computer architecture and application, signal processing & pattern recognition, E-commerce technology & the Internet and VLSI design.
He was the Asia-Pacific Region Director of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) from 1995-96, and the Institute’s Secretary in 1997, and served in many international committees. He was Chair of the IEEE Awards Board in 2007-08 and Chair of the IEEE Medal of Honor Committee in 2009-12. He was Director of the IEEE Foundation Board from 2008-14. He was the Lead Shepherd of the APEC Industry Science and Technology Working Group (ISTWG) from 2004-05. He is a Chartered Engineer, a Fellow of the British Computer Society and a Senior Member of the IEEE.
In his spare time, Paul is a pen-maker, a certified diver, an occasional cyclist and skier, a regular jogger, and also pretends to be a music and golf enthusiast. He started the HKU Marathon Team in 2006, which had over 2,200 members to run the 2017 Hong Kong International Marathon, and tries his best (but often fails) to keep up three sessions of gym every week.
- Y. Sun, Paul Y.S. Cheung, X. Lin, ”Recursive Cube of Rings: A New Topology for Interconnection Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp.275-286, 2000.
- K.K. Leung, N.H.C. Yung, P.Y.S. Cheung, ”Parallelization Methodology for Video Coding – An Implementation on the TMS320C80″, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 10, No. 8, pp. 1413-1425, 2000.
- Wai-Sum Lin, Rynson W.H. Lau, Kai Hwang, Xiaola Lin, P.Y.S. Cheung ”Adaptive Parallel Rendering on Multiprocessors and Workstation Clusters”, IEEE Transactions Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 12, No. 3, March 2001, pp.241-258.
- K.K. Leung, N.H.C. Yung, P.Y.S. Cheung, ”An adaptive parallel video coding algorithm”, Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 4310, 2001, pp. 284-295.
- Y. Sun, Paul Y.S. Cheung, X. Lin, ”Barrier Synchronization on Wormhole-Routed Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 12, No. 6, June 2001, pp.583-597.
- H.Y.Chung, N.H.C. Yung, P.Y.S. Cheung, ”Fast Motion Estimation with Search Center Prediction”, Optical Engineering – The Journal of SPIE, Vol. 40, No. 6, 2001, pp. 952-963.
- K.K. Leung, N.H.C. Yung, P.Y.S. Cheung, ”Novel Neighborhood Search for Multiprocessor Scheduling with Pipelining”, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Vol. 62, No. 1, 2002, pp. 85-110.
- Y. Sun, , X. Lin, Yi Pan, D.A. Bader and P.Y.S. Cheung, ”Generalized Block Shift Network for Clusters”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Part I, Vol. 49, No. 4, April 2002, pp.543-546.
- N.H.C. Yung, H.Y. Chung and P.Y.S. Cheung, ”Quadrilateral-based region segmentation for tracking,”, Optical Engineering – The Journal of SPIE, vol. 41, no. 11, Nov., 2002, pp. 2844-2855.
- Ronald H.Y. Chung, Nelson H.C. Yung, Paul Y.S. Cheung, ”An Efficient Parameterless Quadrilateral-Based Image Segmentation Method”, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1446-1458, September 2005.
- K.W. Sum and Paul Y.S. Cheung, ”Boundary vector field for parametric active countours”, Pattern Recognition, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1635-1645, 2007.
- K.W. Sum and Paul Y.S. Cheung, ”Vessel extraction under non-uniform illumination: a level set approach”, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 358-360, January 2008.
- Geng Li, Jie-Ming Liang, Pei-Wen Li, Xiaoqiang Yao, Peter Zhong Pei, Wei Li, Qi-Hua He, Xifei Yang & Queenie C. C. Chan, Paul Y. S. Cheung, Qi Yuan Ma, Siu Kam Lam, Patrick Y. C. Cheng, Edward S. Yang, “Physiology and cell biology of acupuncture observed in calcium signaling activated by acoustic shear wave”, European Journal of Physiology, vol 462, pp. 587-597, 2011.
- Xin Kang, Mehran Armand, Yoshito Otake, Wai-Pan Yau, Paul Y.S. Cheung, Yong Hu, “Robustness and accuracy of feature-based single image 2D-3D Registration without correspondences for image-guided intervention”, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol 61, no 1, pp. 149-161, January 2014.