Dr. J.C.H. Yuen
B.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D. CityU
Dr. Joe C.H. Yuen
Dr. Joe Yuen received his BSc Hons in computer science in 1997, M.Phil. in 2000 and Ph.D. in 2005 at the City University of Hong Kong. He was an Instructor at the same University from 2001 to 2017. During this period, he dedicated himself in teaching and learning development. Dr. Yuen offered a wide range of courses including programming, networking, distributed system, mobile apps development, computer game design and AI game programming. He is eager to apply different approaches to raise students’ interest in learning. He treats teaching as a serious process to transform and prepare student for the future world. In 2008, he was the prior and deputy coordinator of Outcome Based Teaching in his department. He led several projects in mobile learning and being the coordinator of UGC Community of Practices (CoP): Technology and Creativity Community in CityU. Joe was the Vice-Chairman of ACM HK Chapter from 2013 to 2017. Since September 2017 he joined the Department of Electrical and Electroinic Engineering, the University of Hong Kong (HKU), where he is a Lecturer.
- Joe C.H. Yuen, Edward Chan and Kam-Yiu Lam, “Real Time Video Frames Allocation in Mobile Networks using Cooperative Pre-fetching”, Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp.329-352, March 2007.
- Joe C.H. Yuen, Edward Chan and Kam-Yiu Lam, “A Buffered-bandwidth Approach for Supporting Real-Time Video Streaming over Cellular Networks”, Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp.141-155, Feb. 2006.
- Joe Chun-Hung Yuen, Edward Chan, Kam-Yiu Lam and H. W. Leung, “Cache Invalidation Scheme for Real-time Data in Mobile Computing Systems”, ACM SIGMOD Record, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp.34-39, Dec. 2000.
- Kam-Yiu Lam, Edward Chan and Chun-Hung Yuen, ”Approaches for Broadcasting Temporal Data in Mobile Computing System”, Journal of Systems and Software, Vol. 51, pp. 175-189, May 2000.
Scholarly Books, Monographs and Chapters
- Edward Chan, Joe Yuen and Kam-Yiu Lam, “Cache Invalidation Schemes in Mobile Environments”, in Handbook of Mobile Computing, ed. Imad Mahgoub and Mohammad Illyas, pp. 361-388, CRC Press, June 2004.
- Kam-Yiu Lam, Joe Yuen and Edward Chan, “On Using Buffered bandwidth to Support Real-time Mobile Video Playback in Cellular Networks”, Proc. 6th IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia Software Engineering -ISMSE 2004, Miami, FL, USA, Dec, 2004.
- Kam-Yiu Lam, Joe Yuen, S.H. Son and Edward Chan, “Scheduling Video Stream Transmissions for Distributed Playback over Mobile Cellular Networks”, Proc. 9th IEEE International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS), Taiwan, Dec, 2002.
- Joe Yuen, Kam-Yiu Lam and Edward Chan, ”A Fair and Adaptive Scheduling Protocol for Video Stream Transmission in Mobile Environment”, Proc. 2002 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), Lausanne, Switzerland, Aug, 2002.
- Joe Yuen, Kam-Yiu Lam and Edward Chan, “Adaptive Buffer Sensitive Scheduling for Transmitting Video Streams in a Mobile Multimedia System”, Proc. 7th IEEE Real-Time Technology and Applications Symposium 2001 (RTAS), Taipei, Taiwan, May 2001.
- Joe Chun-Hung Yuen, Edward Chan, Kam-Yiu Lam and H. W. Leung, “An Adaptive AVI-based Cache Invalidation Scheme for Mobile Computing System”, Proc. International workshop on Mobility in Database and Distributed Systems, Greenwich, U.K., Sep, 2000.
- H. Yuen, E Chan and K.Y. Lam, “Adaptive Data Broadcast Strategy for Transaction with Multiple Data Requests in Mobile Computing Environments”, Proc. 6th IEEE International Workshop on Real-Time Computing Systems and Applications, Hong Kong, Dec, 1999.
- Kam-Yiu Lam, Edward Chan and Chun-Hung Yuen , “Data Broadcast for Time-Constrained Read-Only Transactions in Mobile Computing Systems”, Proc. IEEE International Workshop on Advanced Issues of E-Commerce and Web-Based Information Systems, Santa Clara, U.S.A, Apr, 1999.
- K Y Lam, E Chan and C H Yuen, “Broadcast Strategies to Maintain Cached Data for Mobile Computing Systems”, in Advances in Database Technologies (ed. Y. Kambayashi et al.), Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1552, Springer Verlag, 1998.