Dr. D. Ng
B.Eng. HKUST; M.Sc. CityU; Ph.D. HKU; M.H.K.I.E
Dr. David Ng
Adjunct Assistant Professor
- Integrated Circuits, Analog & Mixed-Signal IC Design
- Green Power Management Integrated Circuit (PMIC):
- LED Lighting, Battery Charging, Solar and Energy Harvesting
- Sensor Circuit, for Biomedical Signal Processing:
- Data Converter. Precision Analog Circuit, µV Signal Detection IC for Biomedical Signal processing, like Brain (EEG) or Heart (ECG) Signals
- Application-Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC), for Baseband & Digital Signal Processing
- Technology Startup, Business Negotiations & Development, Merge & Acquisition
- Green Power Management Integrated Circuit (PMIC):
Dr. Ng received his PhD degree in Electrical Engineering from HKU, where his engineering talents were duly honed. Dr. Ng is a current member of the HK Institution of Engineers, having been granted more than 20 patents in US and China over the years. Dr. Ng graduated with an electronic engineering degree from the HKUST, and subsequently completed an MSc degree in electronic & information engineering from the CityU, and had worked in Motorola Semiconductor, Arizona, USA.
As an Entrepreneur and architectural IC design engineer, with over 20-year impressive work experiences in high-tech industry, Dr. Ng founded technology companies focused in Integrated Circuit (IC) design, under the funding of multi-national companies and Venture Capitals, after serving in ASTRI (Hong Kong Government Agency), ON Semiconductor (a NASDAQ-listed semiconductors company) & Motorola (an NYSE-listed Telecommunications Company). Dr. Ng possesses a track record of raising millions of US dollars from the HK Government and industries to sponsor next-generation IC design technologies. During his years in ASTRI, Dr. Ng managed to help one client to go listed in the Hong Kong GEM Board by licensing the IP of Dr. Ng’s team for production.
With special interests in the fields of both Green Power Management and Sensor, Dr. Ng’s research areas cover efficient-&-safe LED driver IC, Digital-Protocol Fast-Battery-Charging IC, Energy-Harvesting enabling circuits, low-impedance bandgap reference, etc.
For Sensor areas, Dr. Ng’s research covers low-noise amplifiers, analog-to-digital, digital-to-analog data converters, µV (10-6 V) bio-signal detection, like brain or heart signals (EEG/ECG), and further Digital Signal Processing (DSP) for the signals, like Fast Fourier transform (FFT).
Over the years, Dr. Ng has gained solid experiences of building up R&D teams from scratch to 10-50 engineers, for fast Revenue Returns, by commercializing over 16 product ICs for mass production simultaneously (some even up to Automotive Grade). Dr. Ng is currently pursuing a CityU EMBA degree, so as to further sharpen his professional business development skills.
Dr. Ng frequently speaks in seminars on IC designs, Brain Sensors, Power Electronics, Fast Battery-Charging and LED driver ICs. He has also published over ten academic papers. In addition, Dr. Ng is an Adjunct Assistant Professor and Honorary Lecturer in HKU and other tertiary institutions, teaching a wide range of engineering courses, including master-level ones for over 16 years.
- David Ng, Y.T.Wong, H.M.Wan, K.K.Kwong, “Low-Voltage Oscillator with Capacitor-Ratio Selectable Duty Cycle and Single-Input Sub-Threshold-Conducting Comparators to S-R Latch”, US2009/0146749 A1, Jun. 11, 2009.
- David Ng, K.K.Kwong, Low Voltage High-Output-Driving CMOS Voltage Reference with Temperature Compensation, US7705662B2, 27-April, 2010.
- K.K.Kwong, David Ng, Victor So, H.K.Kwan, ESD Protection using a Capacitively-Coupled Clamp for Protecting Low-Voltage, US2010/0315748 A1, Dec. 16, 2010.
- David Ng, Y. T. Wong, K. K. Kwong, “Feedback Controller having Multiple Feedback Paths”, US7,948,224 B2, May 24, 2011.
- David Ng, H.K.Kwan, P. Chang, W. K. So, and D. Kwong, Constant-Current Control Module using Inverter Filter Multiplier for Off-line Current-Mode Primary-Side Sense Isolated Flyback Converter, US8300431, Oct.30, 2012.
- W. K. So, H.K.Kwan, David Ng, P. Chang, Output Current Estimation for an Isolated Flyback Converter with Variable Switching Frequency Control and Duty Cycle Adjustment for both PWM and PFM modes, Patent number: 8780590, July 15, 2014.
- P. Chang, C.C.Tsang, David Ng, Y.Xu, T.Or, D. Kwong, Serial multi-battery charger with independent simultaneous charge and discharge, Patent number: 9385542, July 5, 2016.
- David Ng, William Wong, N. Wong, Karen Wan and D. Kwong, “An efficient transfer-function-based approach for the fast tuning and design of DC-DC converters,” in Proc. IEEE Conf. Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA), pp. 682-686, May 2007.
- David Ng, William Wong, N. Wong, Karen Wan and K.K. Kwong, “A low-power high-output-driving CMOS voltage reference with +/-5% trimming accuracy,” in Proc. Intl. Conf. Microelectronics (ICM) 2007, pp. 338-341, Dec 2007.
- David Ng, N. Wong and D. Kwong, “A 0.9V 2.7µW Small-Area 100µs+ Analog CMOS Tunable-Delay Circuit Utilizing Miller Effect,” in Proc. IEEE Intl. Conf. Electron Devices and Solid-State Circuits (EDSSC), pp. 1-4, Dec 2008.
- Y. T. Wong, David Ng,, H. M. Wan, K. K. Kwong, Y. H. Lam and W. H. Ki, “Near-threshold startup integrated boost converter with slew rate enhanced error amplifier,” IEEE Int’l. Symp. on Circ. and Syst., Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 2409-2412, May 2009.ms, Taipei, 2009, pp. 2409-2412.
- David Ng, D. Kwong and N. Wong, “A 30uW CMOS bandgap reference featuring a 1.5mA-6mA output driving current and a Miller-effect startup circuit,” Microelectronics Journal, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 1514-1522, Nov 2009.
- David Ng, V. So, H. K. Kwan, D. Kwong and N. Wong, “A 7V-to-30V-Supply 190A/µs Regulated Gate Driver in a 5V CMOS-Compatible Process”, Advances in Solid State Circuit Technologies, IN-TECH Online, April 2010.
- David Ng, D. Kwong and N. Wong, “A sub-1V, 26uW, low-output-impedance CMOS bandgap reference with a low dropout or source follower mode,” IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration Systems, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1305-1309, Jul 2011.
- Y. Zhang, N. H. W. Fong, David Ng and N. Wong, “Co-simulation of RFIC with bondwire antenna via retarded PEEC method,” in Proc. Intl. Symp. Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), pp. 229-232, May 2012.
- H. K. Kwan, David Ng and W. K. So, Integrated Dual Mode Digital Feedback Control 3.3V-to-4.5V 40mA Step-up Switched-Capacitor Power Converter, IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration Systems, vol.21, no.11, pp.2132-2140, Nov. 2013.
Selected Talks & Professional Activities
- David Ng, A. Chan, “How to equip yourself for careers: From a Christian Perspective”, Agape Fellowship, Campus Crusade for Christ, HKUSTSU, April-2019.
- David Ng, “Automotive LED Lighting Driver Design Challenges”, Hong Kong Electronics & Technologies Association (HKETA), Hong Kong, Mar-2019.
- David Ng, Y. Xu, W. K. So, “ENERGY HARVESTING for Renewable Energy”, Christian Alliance International School of Hong Kong (CAIS), Hong Kong, Feb-2019.
- David Ng, John Leung, “Elite Breakfast Meeting: The journey of doing HiTech Startup in Hong Kong” (“尖子早餐會: 在香港搞科技Startup嘅心路歷程”), MetroRadio Interview, Hong Kong, Jan-2019.
- David Ng, “USB Fast-Charging Development: From B.C1.2 to USB-PD/QC4.0”, HKIE Headquarters, Hong Kong, Dec-2018.
- David Ng, “The Development of Brain Computer Interface System”, HKIE Headquarters, Hong Kong, Dec-2014.
- David Ng, “Power Management & Brain Sensor IC”, ASTRI Industry and University Consultation Forum (IUCF), Hong Kong & Shenzhen, 2007- 2014.
- David Ng, “Technical seminar on for a Green World: an overview of Power Management Technology Development in IC Design Group of ASTRI”, HKIE Headquarters, Hong Kong, Sept-2013.
- David Ng, “IC Design Development in ASTRI”, Tenth China Cross-Straits Technology and Projects Fair, Fuzhou, 19-June-2012.
- David Ng, “LED Driver IC developments in ASTRI”, ASTRI & Science Park Seminar, Hong Kong Science Park, 2010.