Ph.D. The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Tel.: 3917 2675
Office: CB 608
Edith C.H. Ngai
Internet-of-Things, mobile cloud computing, data analytics and machine learning, network security and data privacy, smart cities and health informatics
Dr. Edith Ngai is currently an Associate Professor in Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Hong Kong. Before joining HKU in 2020, she was an Associate Professor in the Department of Information Technology, Uppsala University, Sweden. She received her PhD from The Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2007. She was a postdoctoral researcher in Imperial College London, United Kingdom in 2007-2008. She joined Department of Information Technology, Uppsala University, Sweden as Assistant Professor in 2008 and was promoted to Associate Professor in 2013.
Her research interests include Internet-of-Things, mobile cloud computing, network security and privacy, data analytics and machine learning for smart cities and health informatics. She has published more than 100 journal and conference papers in the area. Edith was a guest researcher at Ericsson Research Sweden in 2015-2017. She has also been a visiting researcher in Simon Fraser University, Tsinghua University, and UCLA. She was a VINNMER Fellow (2009) awarded by Swedish Governmental Research Funding Agency VINNOVA. She was a project leader of the VINNOVA-funded “Green IoT” project in Sweden. The project developed an IoT solution and testbed in the city center of Uppsala for air pollution monitoring and traffic planning. The “Green IoT” project was an award-winning project from the Faculty of Science of Engineering in Uppsala University in 2018. It was also selected on the top-100 list from The Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences in 2020.
Dr. Edith Ngai was a program chair of ACM womENcourage 2015 and TPC co-chair of IEEE SmartCity 2015, IEEE ISSNIP 2015, and ICNC 2018 Network Algorithm and Performance Evaluation Symposium. She is an Associate Editor of IEEE Access, IEEE Internet-of-Things Journal, and IEEE Transactions of Industrial Informatics. She is a Senior Member of ACM and IEEE.
Selected Publications (2015-2020)
- X. Hu, J. Deng, J. Zhao, W. Hu, E. C.-H. Ngai, R. Wang, J. Shen, M. Liang, X. Li, V. Leung, Y.-K. Kwok, SAfeDJ: A Crowd-Cloud Co-design Approach to Situation-aware Music Delivery for Drivers, ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing Communications and Applications, Article 21 (October 2015), 24 pages.
- C. Zhu, V. C. M. Leung, Lei Shu and E. C.-H. Ngai, Green Internet of Things for Smart World, in IEEE Access, vol. 3, pp. 2151-2162, 2015.
- F. Bijarbooneh, W. Du, E. C.-H. Ngai, X. Fu, and J. Liu, Cloud-Assisted Data Fusion and Sensor Selection for Internet-of-Things,” in IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 257-268, June 2016.
- L. McNamara and E. C.-H. Ngai, SADHealth: A Personal Mobile Sensing System for Seasonal Health Monitoring, IEEE System Journal, Vol.12, Issue 1, 2018.
- Q. Liu, X. Hu, E. C.-H. Ngai, M. Liang, V. C.M. Leung, Z. Cai, J. Yin, A Security Patch Addressing Bandwidth Request Vulnerabilities in the IEEE 802.16 Standard, IEEE Network Magazine, Vol. 30, Issue 5, 2016.
- W. Wang, T. Xi, E. C.-H. Ngai, and Z. Song, Energy-Efficient Collaborative Outdoor Localization for Participatory Sensing, Sensors, Jun 2016, 16(6): 762.
- C. Zhu, X. Li, V. Leung, L. Yang, E. C.-H. Ngai, L. Shu, Towards Pricing for Sensor-Cloud, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, 2016.
- B. Ahlgren, M. Hidell, and E. C.-H. Ngai, Internet-of-Things for Smart Cities: Interoperability and Open Data, IEEE Internet Computing, Vol 20, Issue 6, Nov-Dec 2016.
- C. Zhang, J. Liu, F. Chen, C. Yong, E. C.-H. Ngai, and Y. Hu, Dependency- and Similarity-Aware Caching for HTTP Adaptive Streaming, Multimedia Tools and Applications, Jan 2017, pp. 1-22.
- L. Zhang, D. Fu, J. Liu, E. C.-H. Ngai, W. Zhu, On Energy-Efficient Offloading in Mobile Cloud for Real Time Video Applications, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 27, Issue 1, Jan 2017, pp.170-181.
- E. C.-H. Ngai, B. Ohlman, G. Tsudik, E. Uzun, M. Wahlisch, and C. A. Wood, Can We Make a Cake and Eat it Too? A Discussion of ICN Security and Privacy, ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, Vol 47, Issue 1, 2017, pp. 49-54.
- Y. Tian, W. Wang, J. Wu, Q. Kou, Z. Song, and E. C.-H. Ngai, Privacy Preserving Social Tie Discovery Based on Cloaked Human Trajectories, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol 66, Issue 2, 2017, pp. 1619-1630.
- W. Li, C. Zhu, L. Yang, L. Shu, E. C.-H. Ngai, and Y. Ma, Subtasks Scheduling for Distributed Robots in Cloud Manufacturing, IEEE Systems Journal, Vol 11, Issue 2, Jun 2017, pp. 941-950.
- P. Sathyamoorthy, E. C.-H. Ngai, X. Hu, and V. C.M. Leung, Profiling Energy Efficiency and Data Communications for Mobile Internet of Things, Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, Nov 2017.
- G. Xu, E. C.-H. Ngai, and J. Liu, Ubiquitous Transmission of Multimedia Sensor Data in Internet-of-Things, IEEE Internet-of-Things Journal, Vol. 5, Issue 1, Feb 2018, pp. 403-414.
- J.29 Y. Tian, X. Li, A. K. Sangaiah, E. C.-H. Ngai, Z. Song, L. Zhang, and W. Wang, Privacy-Preserving Scheme in Social Participatory Sensing Based on Secure Multi-Party Cooperation, Computer Communications, vol. 9, Apr 2018, pp. 167-178. (Impact factor: 2.613)
- W. Huang, Y. Zhou, X. Xie, D. Wu, M. Chen, and E. C.-H. Ngai, Buffer State is Enough: Simplifying the Design of QoE-Aware HTTP Adaptive Video Streaming, IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, Vol. 64, Issue 2, Jun 2018, pp. 590-601.
- J. Zhang, X. Hu, Z. Ning, E. C.-H. Ngai, L. Zhou, J. Wei, J. Cheng, B. Hu, Energy-latency Trade-off for Energy-aware Offloading in Mobile Edge Computing Networks, IEEE Internet-of-Things Journal, Vol. 5, Issue 4, Aug 2018, pp. 2633-2645.
- X. Wang, Z. Ning, X. Hu, E. C.-H. Ngai, L. Wang, B. Hu, R. Y.-K. Kwok, A City-Wide Real-Time Traffic Management System: Enabling Crowdsensing in Social Internet of Vehicles, IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 56, Issue 9, Sep 2018, pp. 19-25.
- W. Chen, Z. Zheng, E. C.-H. Ngai, P. Zheng, and Y. Zhou, Exploiting Blockchain Data to Detection Smart Ponzi Schemes on Ethereum, IEEE Access, issue 7, pp. 37573-37386, 2019.
- J. Zhang, L. Zhou, Q. Tang, E. C. H. Ngai, X. Hu, H. Zhao, J. Wei, Stochastic Computation Offloading and Trajectory Scheduling for UAV-Assisted Mobile Edge Computing. IEEE Internet of Things Journal 6(2): 3688-3699, 2019.
- J. Zhang, X. Hu, Z. Ning, E. C. H. Ngai, L. Zhou, J. Wei, J. Cheng, B. Hu, V. C. M. Leung: Joint Resource Allocation for Latency-Sensitive Services Over Mobile Edge Computing Networks With Caching. IEEE Internet of Things Journal 6(3): 4283-4294, 2019.
- X. Liu, E. C. H. Ngai, J. Liu, Secure Information Fusion using Local Posterior for Distributed Cyber-Physical Systems, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2020.