Prof. E.X. Wu
BSEE Tianjin Univ.; MS Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison; Ph.D. Univ. of California-Irvine; F.I.S.M.R.M, F.I.E.E.E, F.A.I.M.B.E, F.H.K.I.E.
Office: CB 601G
Prof. Ed X. Wu
Chair of Biomedical Engineering
Lam Woo Professorship in Biomedical Engineering
Biomedical imaging; magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) physics and engineering; preclincial and clinical MRI applications; neuroscience;
Prof. Ed X. Wu is Chair Professor of Biomedical Engineering and holds Lam Woo Professorship in Biomedical Engineering. He joined the University of Hong Kong Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering in 2003. Before joining HKU, Prof. Wu was an Associate Professor of Radiology and Biomedical Engineering at Columbia University in New York where he led the NMR Microimaging Laboratory and served as a core member of Columbia Integrated Imaging Center. From 1990 to 1998, Prof. Wu was the lead technical member in development of the world first 3D positron emission tomography (PET) system and an ultrahigh field magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) system at Columbia University. At present, Prof. Wu is the founding Director of the interdisciplinary Laboratory of Biomedical Imaging and Signal Processing, and Research Director of 3T MRI Unit at HKU. He served as the Program Director of Medical Engineering Program from 2009 to 2013 and Associate Dean (Research) of HKU Faculty of Engineering from 2013 to 2016. His current research includes (1) biomedical imaging and medical instrumentation; and (2) development of advanced high-field and multi-modal MRI techniques for investigation of brain structures, functions and circuits. Prof. Wu is the recipient of numerous extramural research grants awarded by US National Institutes of Health (NIH), US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), US Department of Interior and Hong Kong Research Grant Council (RGC).
Prof. Wu presently is the Asia-Pacific Editor of NMR in Biomedicine and an editorial board member of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. He has served in numerous technical and scientific committees in professional societies, funding agencies and international conferences, including US NIH, Hong Kong RGC and ITC assessment panels. Prof. Wu is an elected Fellow of International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) in 2013, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) in 2014, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) in 2011, and Hong Kong Academy of Engineering Sciences (HKAES) in 2018. He is the recipient of 2009 Outstanding Researcher Award from HKU, 2012 Croucher Senior Research Fellowship from Croucher Foundation, and 2018 Guanghua Engineering Science and Technology Prize which is the highest national award from Chinese Academy of Engineering. Prof. Wu is the 2016-2017 President of Overseas Chinese Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (OCSMRM).
He is an Honorary Professor at Departments of Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, and School of Biomedical Sciences at HKU Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine.
- M Lyu, M Barth, VB Xie, Y Liu, X Ma, Y Feng, EX Wu: “Robust SENSE reconstruction of simultaneous multislice EPI with low-rank enhanced coil sensitivity calibration and slice-dependent 2D Nyquist ghost correction.” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (in press), 2018.
- VB Xie, M Lyu, Y Liu, Y Feng, EX Wu: Robust EPI Nyquist ghost removal by incorporating phase error correction with sensitivity encoding (PEC-SENSE).” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 79:943-951, 2018.
- P Cao, EX Wu: “In vivo diffusion MRS investigation of non-water molecules in biological tissues (review).” NMR in Biomedicine 30:e3481, 2017.
- AT Leong, EX Wu: “Making connections in the brain (Insight article).” eLife 6:e32064, 2017.
- RW Chan, ATL Leong, LC Ho, PP Gao, EC Wong, CM Dong, X Wang, J He, YS Chan, LW Lim, EX Wu: “Low-frequency hippocampal-cortical activity drives brain-wide resting-state functional MRI connectivity.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 114:E6972-E6981, 2017.
- ATL Leong, RW Chan, PP Gao, YS Chan, KK Tsia, WH Yung, EX Wu: “Long-range projections coordinate distributed brainwide neural activity with a specific spatiotemporal profile.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 113:E8306-E8315, 2016.
- PP Gao, JW Zhang, SJ Fan, DH Sanes, EX Wu: “Auditory midbrain processing is differentially modulated by auditory and visual cortices: an fMRI study,” NeuroImage 123:22-32, 2015.
- P Cao, SJ Fan, AM Wang, VB Xie, Z Qiao, GM Brittenham, EX Wu: “Diffusion magnetic resonance monitors intramyocellular lipid droplet size in vivo,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 73:59-69, 2015.
- IY Zhou, YX Liang, RW Chan, PP Gao, JS Cheng, Y Hu, KF So, EX Wu: “Brain resting-state functional MRI connectivity: Morphological foundation and plasticity,” NeuroImage 84:1-10, 2014.
- MM Cheung, C Lau, IY Zhou, KC Chan, JW Zhang, SJ Fan, EX Wu: “High fidelity tonotopic mapping using swept source functional magnetic resonance imaging,” NeuroImage 61:978-986, 2012.
- J Yang, J Liu, G Niu, KC Chan, R Wang, Y Liu, EX Wu: “In vivo MRI of endogenous stem/progenitor cell migration from subventricular zone in normal and injured developing brains,” NeuroImage 48:319-328, 2009.
- JS Cheung, AM Chow, H Guo, EX Wu: “Microbubbles as a novel contrast agent for brain MRI,” NeuroImage 46:658-664, 2009.
- MM Cheung, ES Hui, KC Chan, JA Helpern, EX Wu: “Does diffusion kurtosis imaging lead to better neural tissue characterization? A rodent brain maturation study,” NeuroImage 45:386-392, 2009.
- ES Hui, MM Cheung, L Qi, EX Wu: “Toward better MR characterization of neural tissues using directional diffusion kurtosis analysis,” NeuroImage 42:122-134, 2008.
- S Mi, B Hu, K Hahm, Y Luo, ES Hui, Q Yuan, WM Wong, Li Wang, H Su, TH Chu, KF So, B Pepinsky, Z Shao, V Jung, EX Wu, WT Wu: “LINGO-1 antagonist promotes spinal cord demyelination and axonal integrity in MOG-induced experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis,” Nature Medicine 13:1228-1233, 2007.
- EX Wu, KK Wong, M Andrassy, H Tang: “High resolution in vivo CBV mapping in C57BL6/J mice using MRI,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 49:765-70, 2003.
- SA Small, EX Wu, D Bartsch, GM Perera, CO Lacefield, R DeLaPaz, R Mayeux, Y Stern, ER Kandel: “Imaging function of hippocampal subregions in humans and in genetically modified mice using a high resolution MRI method,” Neuron 28:653-64, 2000.
- EX Wu, G Johnson, SK Hilal and ZH Cho: “A new spatial localization technique using pulsed quadratic gradient,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 33:242-245, 1994.
- EX Wu, RB Buxton: “Effect of diffusion on the steady-state magnetization with pulsed field gradients,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance 90:243-253, 1990.