Dr. G.K.H. Pang
B.Sc. (Eng.) UK; Ph.D. Cambridge; C.Eng.; P.Eng.; M.I.E.T.; M.I.E.E.E.
Office: CB 509
Dr. G.K.H. Pang
Research InterestsIntelligent control, fuzzy neural networks, intelligent transport systems, knowledge-based and algebraic approach to computer-aided control system design. Dr. Grantham K.H. Pang obtained his Ph.D. degree from the University of Cambridge in 1986. He was with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada, from 1986 to 1996 and joined the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at The University of Hong Kong in 1996. Since 1988, he published more than 120 technical papers and has authored or co-authored six books. His research interests include machine vision for surface defect detection, optical communications, expert systems for control system design, intelligent control and intelligent transportation systems. He is in charge of the Industrial Automation Research Lab. Dr. Pang was the Organizing Chair of the 1996 IEEE Symposium on Computer-Aided Control System Design. Dr. Pang is an Editor of the International Journal of Intelligent Control and Systems, Machine Intelligence and Robotic Control, and Control and Computers. He is a Chartered Electrical Engineer, and a member of the IET, HKIE and IEEE. For more information, please see https://www.eee.hku.hk/~gpang/.
Selected PublicationsResearch Monograph & Chapter in Book
- Pang, G.K.H., “Blackboard Architecture for Intelligent Control”, Article-level writer for the Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems, developed in scholarly partnership with United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
- Ngan Y.T. and Pang G.K.H., “Defect Detection of Patterned Objects, In: Clarence W. de Silva,” Mechatronics Systems, CRC Press, 2008.
- Pang G.K.H., “i.LIGHT: Communication Using Visible Light, In: Clarence W. de Silva,” Mechatronics Systems. CRC Press, 2008.
- Ngan, H., Pang, G.K.H. and Yung, N., “Automated fabric defect detection – A Review”, Image and Vision Computing, Volume 29, pp. 442-458, 2011.
- Pang, G.K.H. and Qiao, D.P., “Skin Impedance Models for Transdermal Drug Delivery”, Journal of Biomedical Science and Engineering, published online April 2010 in http://www.scirp.org/journal/jbise.
- Hou, Y.L. and Pang, G.K.H., “People Counting and Human Detection in a Challenging Situation”, IEEE Transactions on Systems Man & Cybernetics, Part A, Volume 41, Issue 1, pp. 24-33, 2011.
- Ngan, H., Pang, G.K.H. and Yung, N., “Ellipsoidal Decision Regions For Motif-based Patterned Fabric Defect Detection”, Pattern Recognition, Volume 43 , Issue 6, June 2010.
- Qiao, D. Pang, G. K.H., Mui, M. K., and Lam, D. C.C., “A Single-Axis Low-Cost Accelerometer Fabricated Using Printed Circuit Board Techniques”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, Volume: 30, Number: 12, pp. 1293-1295, 2009.
- Ngan, H., Pang, G.K.H. and Yung, N., “Performance Evaluation for Motif-based Patterned Texture Defect Detection”, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, Vol. 7, Issue 1, pp. 58-72, Jan 2010.
- Hui, T.W. and Pang, G.K.H., “3D Measurement of Solder Paste using Two-step Phase Shift Profilometry”, IEEE Transactions on Electronics Packaging Manufacturing, Vol. 31, Number 4, pp. 306-315, October 2008.
- Hui, T.W. and Pang, G.K.H., “Solder paste inspection using region-based defect detection”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 42, Numbers 7-8, June, 2009.
- Ngan, H., Pang, G.K.H. and Yung, N., “Motif-based Defect Detection for Patterned Fabric”, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 41, Issue 6, pp. 1878-1894, 2008.
- Ngan, H., Pang, G.K.H., “Regularity Analysis for Patterned Texture Inspection”, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, Vol. 6, Number 1, pp. 131-144, Jan 2009.
- Ngan, H., Pang, G.K.H., “A Novel Method for Patterned Fabric Inspection using Bollinger Bands”, Optical Engineering, Vol. 45, No. 8, August 2006.
- Yang, X.Z., Pang, G.K.H. and Yung N., “Robust Fabric Defect Detection and Classification using Multiple Adaptive Wavelets”, IEE Proceedings, Vision, Image & Signal Processing, Vol. 152, No. 6, December 2005.
- Yang, X.Z., Pang, G.K.H. and Yung N., “Discriminative Training Approaches to Fabric Defect Classification based on Wavelet Transform”, Pattern Recognition, Volume 37, pp. 889-899, 2004.
- Liu, H.S, Pang, G.K.H., “Positioning Beacon System using Digital Camera and LEDs”, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 52, Number 2, pp. 406-419, March, 2003.
- Fung, G.S.K., Yung, N. and Pang, G.K.H., “Camera calibration from road lane markings”, Optical Engineering – The Journal of SPIE, Vol.42, No.10, ISSN:0091-3286, pp.2967-2977, Oct 2003.
- Pang, G.K.H., K. Takahashi, T. Yokota, H. Takenaga, “Intelligent Route Selection for In-vehicle Navigation System”, Transportation Planning & Technology , Vol. 25, Number 3, pp. 175-213, September 2002, ISSN/ISBN: 0308-1060.
- Stanley Chu, Pang, G.K.H., “Comparison between different model of Hexapod Robot in Fault-Tolerant Gait”, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics Part A: Systems and Human, Volumn 32, Issue 6, pp. 752-756, Nov 2002.