Prof. A.H.W. Choi
BEng., Ph.D., Sen.M.I.E.E.E.
Tel.: 3917 2693
Office: CB 716
Prof. Anthony H.W. Choi
Gallium Nitride materials/ device design, modeling, processing and characterization
Anthony Choi is a professor with the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at The University of Hong Kong. Prof. Choi received his PhD from the National University of Singapore under the supervision of Professor Soo Jin Chua and completed his postdoctoral training in Professor Martin Dawson’s team at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, where he contributed to pioneering development work on III-Nitride emissive micro-light-emitting diode arrays, demonstrating applications in the areas of micro-displays and high-efficiency light sources.
At the Semiconductor Lighting and Display Laboratory, Prof. Choi leads a team of researchers investigating contemporary and intriguing research topics which include solid-state lighting, optical resonance and micro-cavities, nanophotonics, and laser processing of optical materials. His major contributions include using the design and implementation of the stacked LED structure for polychromatic or color-tunable emission, 3-D shaping of LED chips with laser processes as well as GaN-on-Si pivoted microcavities.
He has published over 200 papers in leading journals and international conferences, edited a book volume entitled “Handbook of Optical Microcavities”, contributed to 3 book chapters, holds numerous US and PCT patents and is actively involved in professional activities, such as serving as chairperson for the international conferences LEDsAsia 2009 and EDSSC 2010.
- Y.F. Cheung, K.H. Li, R.S.Y. Hui and H.W. Choi, “Observation of enhanced visible and infrared emissions in photonic crystal thin-film light-emitting diodes”, Applied Physics Letters (2014).
- Y.Y. Zhang, Z.T. Ma, X.H. Zhang, T. Wang and H.W. Choi, “Optically-pumped whispering-gallery mode lasing from 2-micron GaN micro-disks pivoted on Si”, Applied Physics Letters 104, 221106 (2014).
- K.H. Li, C. Feng, H.W. Choi, “Analysis of Micro-lens Integrated Flip-chip InGaN Light-emitting Diodes by Confocal Microscopy”, Applied Physics Letters 104, 051107 (2014).
- K.H. Li, K.Y. Zang, S.J. Chua and H.W. Choi, “III-nitride Light-emitting Diode with Embedded Photonic Crystals”, Applied Physics Letters 102, 181117 (2013).
- K.H. Li, Z.T. Ma and H.W. Choi, “Tunable clover-shaped GaN photonic bandgap structures patterned by dual-step nanosphere lithography”, Applied Physics Letters 100 141101 (2012).
- Q. Zhang, K.H. Li and H.W. Choi, “InGaN light-emitting diodes with indium-tin-oxide sub-micron lenses patterned by nanosphere lithography”, Applied Physics Letters 100, 061120 (2012).
- K.H. Li, Z.T. Ma and H.W. Choi, “High-Q whispering-gallery mode lasing from nanosphere-patterned GaN nano-ring arrays”, Applied Physics Letters 98, 071106 (2011).
- R. Chen, H.D. Sun, T. Wang, K.N. Hui and H.W. Choi, “Optically-pumped Ultraviolet Lasing from Nitride Nanopillars at Room Temperature”, Applied Physics Letters 96, 241101 (2010).
- H.W. Choi, K.N. Hui, P.T. Lai, P. Chen, X.H. Zhang, S. Tripathy, J.H. Teng and S.J. Chua, “Lasing in GaN Microdisks Pivoted on Si”, Applied Physics Letters 89, 211101 (2006).
- H.W. Choi and M.D. Dawson, “Improved Current Spreading in 370 nm AlGaN Micro-ring Light Emitting Diodes”, Applied Physics Letters 85, 053504 (2005).
- H.W. Choi, C.W. Jeon, M.D. Dawson, P.R. Edwards, R.W. Martin, S. Tripathy and S.J. Chua, “InGaN Nano-ring Structures for High-efficiency LEDs”, Applied Physics Letters 86, 021101 (2005).
- H.W. Choi, C. Liu, E. Gu, G. McConnell, J.M. Girkin, I.M. Watson and M.D. Dawson, “GaN micro-Light Emitting Diode Arrays with Monolithically-integrated Sapphire micro-lenses”, Applied Physics Letters 84, 2253 (2004).
- H.W. Choi, P.R. Edwards, R.W. Martin and M.D. Dawson, “High Extraction Efficiency InGaN Micro-ring Light Emitting Diodes”, Applied Physics Letters 83, 4483 (2003).
- H.W. Choi, S.J. Chua, A. Raman, J.S. Pan, A.T.S. Wee, “Plasma-Induced Damage to n-type GaN”, Applied Physics Letters 77, 1795 (2000).