Tel.: 3917 2701
Office: CB 613
Systems Robotics – development and application of robotics to problems in real environments, which include human-robot interaction and coordination, handling and manipulation, assembly, dual-manipulator systems, multiple-robot coordination, and production and manufacturing.
Kazuhiro Kosuge received the B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in control engineering from the Tokyo Institute of Technology in 1978, 1980, and 1988 respectively. From 1980 through 1982, he was a Research Staff in the Production Engineering Department, DENSO Co., Ltd. From 1982 through 1990, he was a Research Associate in the Department of Control Engineering at Tokyo Institute of Technology. From 1989 to 1990, he was a visiting research scientist at, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. From 1990 to 1995, He was an Associate Professor at Nagoya University.
In 1995, he joined Tohoku University, where he served as a Professor, Department of Machine Intelligence and Systems Engineering from 1995 to 2003, a Professor, Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, from 2003 to 2016, and a Professor, Department of Robotics from 2016 to 2021. From 2018 to 2021, he was a Tohoku University Distinguished Professor. For more than 35 years, he has been conducting research on robotics and its applications in the real world. He has published over 390 technical papers. Over 70 of his patents have been transferred to industry.
He served as Science Advisor, Research Promotion Bureau, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan (2010-2014), Senior Program Officer, Japan Society of Promotion of Science (2007-2010), Selected Fellow, Center for Research and Development Strategy, Japan Science and Technology Agency (2005-2012). He was 2020 IEEE Vice President for Technical Activities. He served as IEEE Division X Director for 2015-2016, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society President for 2010-2011.
He is IEEE Fellow, JSME Fellow (Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers), SICE Fellow (Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Japan), RSJ Fellow (Robotics Society of Japan), JSAE Fellow (Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan), a member of IEEE Eta Kappa Nu and a member of Engineering of Academy, Japan. He was a 2018 recipient of Medal of Honor, Medal with Purple Ribbon, which is awarded with the name of Emperor of Japan, from the Government of Japan. He received IEEE RAS George Saridis Leadership Award in Robotics and Automation, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, in 2021.
He also received Young Researcher’s Award, Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, in 1979, Nakamura Prize for IROS’97 Best Paper, IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, in 1998, Academic Achievement Award, Robotics and Mechatronics Division, Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, in 1999, Best Paper Award, Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, in 2002, Excellent Paper Award, FANAC FA and Robot Foundation, in 2003, Achievement Award, Society of Instrument and Control Engineers/System Integration Section, in 2004, Best Paper Award, Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, in 2005, Best Paper Award, Robotics Society of Japan, in 2005, Excellent Paper Award, FANUC FA and Robot Foundation, in 2006, The Industrial Robot Innovation Award, the 9thInternational Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots (CLAWAR), in 2006, Achievement Award, Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers/Robotics Mechatronics Division, in 2007, Good Design Award, Japan Institute of Design Promotion, in 2008, Conference Best Paper Award, 2009 IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation, in 2009, Honorary Professor, Obuda University, Hungary, in 2013, IROS Harashima Award for Innovative Technologies, in 2013, Technical Committee Contribution Award, Society of Automotive Engineers Japan, in 2013, and Hung Hing Ying Distinguished Visiting Professor in Science and Technology, The University of Hong Kong, in 2016.
Selected refereed journal papers:
- Yajun Xu, Shogo Arai, Fuyuki Tokuda, Kazuhiro Kosuge, “A convolutional neural network for point cloud instance segmentation in cluttered scene trained by synthetic data without color,” IEEE Access, 2020
- Akira Kanazawa, Jun Kinugawa, Kazuhiro Kosuge, “Adaptive Motion Planning for a Collaborative Robot Based on Prediction Uncertainty to Enhance Human Safety and Work Efficiency,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 35(4), 817-832, 2019.
- Jing Li, Zhong Shen, Wen Yu Tian Xu, Walter Yu Hang Lam, Richard Tai Chiu Hsung, Edomond Ho Nang Pow, Kazuhiro Kosuge, Zheng Wang, “A Compact Dental Robotic System Using Soft Bracing Technique,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 4(2), 1271-1278, 2019.
- Wang Hongbo, Kinugawa Jun, Kosuge Kazuhiro, “Exact Kinematic Modeling and Identification of Reconfigurable Cable-Driven Robots with Dual-Pulley Cable Guiding Mechanisms,” IEEE-ASME TRANSACTIONS ON MECHATRONICS, 24(2), 774-784, 2019.
- Diyi Liu, Shogo Arai, Jiaqi Miao, Jun Kinugawa, Zhao Wang and Kazuhiro Kosuge, “Point Pair Feature-Based Pose Estimation with Multiple Edge Appearance Models (PPF-MEAM) for Robotic Bin Picking,” Sensors 2018,18, 2719, 2018.
- Arash Ajoudani, Andrea Maria Zanchettin, Serena Ivaldi, Alin Albu-Schäffer, Kazuhiro Kosuge, Oussama Khatib, “Progress and prospects of the human-robot collaboration,” Autonomous Robots, 42(5), 957-975, 2018.
- Sajjad TAGHVAEI, Kazuhiro KOSUGE, “Image-based Fall Detection and Classification of a User with a Walking Support System,” Frontiers of Mechanical Engineering, 13, 427–441, 2018.
- Taghvaei, M. H. Jahanandish, and K. Kosuge, “Autoregressive-moving-average hidden Markov model for vision-based fall prediction – An application for walker robot,” Assistive Technology, 29, 19-27, 2017.
- DF Paez Granados, BA Yamamoto, H Kamide, J Kinugawa, K Kosuge , “Dance Teaching by a Robot: Combining Cognitive and Physical Human–Robot Interaction for Supporting the Skill Learning Process,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters 2 (3), 1452 – 1459, 2017
- Jun Kinugawa, Akira Kanazawa, Shogo Arai, Kazuhiro Kosuge, “Adaptive Task Scheduling for an Assembly Task Coworker Robot Based on Incremental Learning of Human’s Motion Patterns,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 2(2), 856-863, 2017.
- Hongbo Wang, Tianqi Gao, Jun Kinugawa, Kazuhiro Kosuge, “Finding Measurement Configurations for Accurate Robot Calibration: Validation With a Cable-Driven Robot,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 33(5), 1156-1169, 2017.
- Hirata, Z. Wang, K. Fukaya, K. Kosuge, “Transporting an Object by a Passive Mobile Robot with Servo Brakes in Cooperation with a Human,” Advanced Robotics, 23(4), 387-404, 2009.
- Shimizu, H. Kakuya, W. Yoon, K. Kitagaki, K. Kosuge, “Analytical Inverse Kinematic Computation for 7-DOF Redundant Manipulators With Joint Limits and Its Application to Redundancy Resolution,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 24(5), 1131-1142, 2008.
- Hirata, A. Hara, K. Kosuge, “Motion Control of Passive Intelligent Walker Using Servo Brakes,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 23(5), 981-990, 2007.
- Chuy Jr., Y. Hirata, Z. Wang, K. Kosuge, “A Control Approach Based on Passive Behavior to Enhance User Interaction,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 23(5), 899-908, 2007.
- Takeda, Y. Hirata, K. Kosuge, “Dance Step Estimation Method Based on HMM for Dance Partner Robot,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 54(2), 699-706, 2007.
- Chuy Jr., Y. Hirata, K. Kosuge, “A New Control Approach for a Robotic Walking Support System in Adapting User Characteristics,” IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SYSTEMS, MAN, AND SYBERNETICS PART C: APPRICATIONS AND REVIEWS, 36(6), 725-733, 2006.
- Itoh, K. Kosuge, T. Fukuda, “Human-Machine Cooperative Telemanipulation with Motion and Force Scaling Using Task- Oriented Virtual Tool,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, 16 (5), 505-516, 2000.
- Koga, K. Kosuge, K. Furuta, K.Nosaki, “Coordinated Motion Control of Robot Arms Based on the Virtual Internal Model,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, 8(1), 77-85, 1992.
- Furuta, H. Kajiwara, K. Kosuge, “Digital Control of a Double Inverted Pendulum on an Inclined Rail,” International Journal of Control, 32 (5), (1980), 907-924.