Prof. P.T. Lai
B.Sc. (Eng.), Ph.D. H.K.; M.I.E.E.E.
Office: CB 505
Prof. P.T. Lai
Research InterestsSemiconductor processing; Device physics, modeling and simulation; Integrated sensors. Prof. Lai’s Ph.D. research at the University of Hong Kong was related to the design of small-sized MOS transistor with emphasis on narrow-channel effects. The work involved the development of both analytical and numerical models. Worked as a Post-doctoral fellow : i) proposed and implemented a novel self-aligned structure for bipolar transistor, ii) designed and implemented an advanced poly-emitter bipolar process with emphasis on self-alignment and trench isolation. His current research interests are on thin gate dielectrics for Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor (MOSFET) based on Si, SiC, GaN, Ge, organics, and on microsensors for detecting gases, heat, light, and flow.
- J.P. Xu, P.T. Lai, and Y.C. Cheng, “Dynamic-stress-induced enhanced degradation of 1/f noise in n-MOSFET’s”, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, vol. ED-47, pp. 109-112, Jan 2000.
- J.P. Xu, P.T. Lai, C.L. Chan and Y.C. Cheng, “Improved Performance and Reliability of N2O-Grown Oxynitride on 6H-SiC “, IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 21, pp. 298-300, Jun 2000.
- P.T. Lai, J.P. Xu and C. L. Chan, “Effects of Wet N2O Oxidation on Interface Properties of 6H-SiC MOS Capacitors”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 23, pp. 410-412, July 2002.
- J.P. Xu, P.T. Lai, D.G. Zhong and C. L. Chan, “Improved hydrogen-sensitive properties of MISiC Schottky sensor with thin NO-grown oxynitride as gate insulator”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 24, pp. 13-15, Jan 2003.
- J.P. Xu, P.T. Lai, C.X. Li, X. Zou, C.L. Chan, “Improved Electrical Properties of Germanium MOS Capacitors with Gate Dielectric Grown in Wet NO Ambient”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 27, pp. 439-441, Jun 2006.
- W.M. Tang, P.T. Lai, C.H. Leung and J.P. Xu, “A comparison of MISiC Schottky-diode hydrogen sensors made by NO, N2O or NH3 nitridations”, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, vol. ED-53, pp. 2378-2383, Sep 2006.
- X.F. Zhang, J.P. Xu, P.T. Lai, C.X. Li, “A Physical Model on Scattering at High-k Dielectric/SiO2 Interface of SiGe p-MOSFETs”, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, vol. ED-54, pp. 3097-3102, Nov 2007.
- J. P. Xu, X. F. Zhang, C. X. Li, P. T. Lai, , C. L. Chan, “Improved Electrical Properties of Ge p-MOSFET with HfO2 Gate Dielectric by using TaOxNy Interlayer”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 29, pp. 1155-1158 , Oct 2008.
- Y. R. Liu, L. F. Deng, R. H. Yao, and P. T. Lai, “Low-Operating-Voltage Polymer Thin-Film Transistors Based on Poly(3-Hexylthiophene) With Hafnium Oxide as the Gate Dielectric”, IEEE Trans. on Device And Materials Reliability, vol. 10, Feb 2010
- Y. R. Liu, P. T. Lai, R. H. Yao and L. F. Deng, ” Influence of Octadecyltrichlorosilane Surface Modification on Electrical Properties of Polymer Thin-Film Transistors Studied by Capacitance–Voltage Analysis “, IEEE Trans. on Device And Materials Reliability, vol. 11, pp. 60-65, Mar 2011
- L.F. Deng, P.T. Lai, W. B. Chen, J. P. Xu, Y. R. Liu, H. W. Choi, and C. M. Che, “Effects of Different Annealing Gases on Pentacene OTFT with HfLaO Gate Dielectric”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, vol. 32, pp. 93-95, Jan 2011
- F. Ji, J. P. Xu, P. T. Lai, Senior Member, IEEE, C. X. Li, and J. G. Liu, “Improved Interfacial Properties of Ge MOS Capacitor with High-k Dielectric by using TaON/GeON Dual Interlayer”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, vol. 32, pp. 122-124, Feb 2011