Prof. S.C. Chan
B.Sc. (Eng.), Ph.D. H.K.; M.I.E.E.E.
Tel.: 3917 8025
Office: CB 721
Prof. S.C. Chan
Associate Head (TPG and Development)
S. C. Chan received his B.Sc (Eng) and Ph.D degrees from the University of Hong Kong in 1986 and 1992, respectively. He joined City Polytechnic of Hong Kong at 1990 as an assistant Lecturer and later as a University Lecturer. Since 1994, he has been with the department of electrical and electronic engineering, the University of Hong Kong, and is now a Professor. He held visiting positions in Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, USA, Microsoft Research Asia, University of Texas at Arlington, and Nanyang Technological University.
Prof. Chan’s main research area is signal processing and applications. His previous research covers fast transform algorithms, filter design and realization, multirate and array signal processing, adaptive and communications signal processing, data compression and image-based rendering, high-speed signal converters, biomedical signal processing and bioinformatics. His research sponsors include the HK Research Grant Council (RGC) and the innovative technology fund (ITF) of HK.
Prof. Chan has served in a number of professional and administrative committees. He is currently a member of the Digital Signal Processing Technical Committee of the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society, Associate Editors for IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems I and Journal of Signal Processing systems, and was the Chairman of the IEEE HK Chapter of Signal Processing. He was the special session chairman of ICASSP2003 and is an organizing committee member of the IEEE 2010 ICIP.
Prof. Chan has published more than 200 journal and conference articles and is the co-author of a book: image-based rendering by Springer, 2006.
- H. Y. Shum, S. C. Chan, and S. B. Kang, Image-Based Rendering. Springer, 2006. (408 pages)
- H. Y. Shum, S. B. Kang and S. C. Chan, “Survey of image-based representations and compression techniques,” IEEE Transaction on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 1020- 1037, Nov. 2003.
- S. C. Chan, Y. Wen and K. L. Ho, “A robust PAST algorithm for subspace tracking in impulsive noise,” IEEE Transaction on Signal Processing, vol. vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 105-116, Jan. 2006.
- S. C. Chan and H. H. Chen, “Uniform concentric circular arrays with frequency invariant characteristics – theory, design, adaptive beamforming and DOA estimation,” IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 165-177, Jan. 2007.
- S. C. Chan, K. M. Tsui, K. S. Yeung and T. I. Yuk, “Design, implementation and complexity optimization of a new digital IF for software radio receivers,” IEEE Transactions Circuits and Systems I, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 351-366, Feb. 2007.
- S. C. Chan and K. M. Tsui, “Wordlength optimization of linear time invariant systems with multiple outputs using geometric programming,” IEEE Transactions Circuits and Systems I, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 845-854, April 2007.
- S. C. Chan, H. Y. Shum, and K. T. Ng, “Image-based rendering and synthesis: technological advances and challenges,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine: Special Issue on MVI and 3DTV, Nov 2007.
- S. C. Chan, K. M. Tsui and Y. C. Lim, “Design of multi-plet perfect reconstruction filter banks using frequency-response masking technique,” IEEE Trans. Circuits for Systems I, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 2707 – 2715, Oct. 2008.
- Z. G. Zhang, V. W. Zhang, S. C. Chan, B. McPherson, and Y. Hu, “Time–frequency analysis of click-evoked otoacoustic emissions by means of a minimum variance spectral estimation-based method,” Hearing Research. Amsterdam, Elsevier, 2008, 243: 18-27.
- S. C. Chan, Z. F. Gan, K. T. Ng, H. Y. Shum and K. L. Ho, “An object-based approach to a class of dynamic image-based representations,” IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 19, pp. 821-831, 2009.
- S. H. Zhao and S. C. Chan, “Design and Multiplier-less Realization Of Digital Synthesis Filters For Hybrid Filter Bank A/D Converters,” IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems I, vol. 56, 2009.
- S. C. Chan and Y. Zhou, “On the Performance Analysis of the Least Mean M-Estimate and Normalized Least Mean M-Estimate Algorithms with Gaussian Inputs and Additive Gaussian and Contaminated Gaussian noise,” Journal of Signal Processing Systems, published online, Oct. 2009.
- K. T. Ng, Q. Wu, S. C. Chan and H. Y. Shum, “Object-Based Coding for Plenoptic Videos,” to appear in IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems for Video Technology.