Prof. V.O.K. Li
SB, SM, EE, ScD MIT; FHKEng, FIEEE, FIAE, FHKIE
Office: CB 601D
Prof. Victor O.K. Li, BBS
Chair of Information Engineering
Cheng Yu-Tung Professorship in Sustainable development
Development and applications of information science (big data analytics and deep learning) to important societal problems, including clean energy and environment, internet of things, and smart city.
S.B., Electrical Engg. and Computer Science, MIT, 1977
S.M., Electrical Engg. and Computer Science, MIT, 1979
EE, Electrical Engg. and Computer Science, MIT, 1980
Sc.D., Electrical Engg. and Computer Science, MIT, 1981
Victor O.K. Li was born and raised in Hong Kong. He joined the University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, California, USA in February 1981, and became Professor of Electrical Engineering and Director of the USC Communication Sciences Institute. Since September 1997 he has been with the University of Hong Kong (HKU), Hong Kong, where he is Chair Professor of Information Engineering, Cheng Yu-Tung Professor in Sustainable Development, and Head of the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. He served as Assoc. Dean of Engineering at HKU from 2007 to 2012. He has also served as Managing Director of Versitech Ltd. (http://www.versitech.hku.hk/), the technology transfer and commercial arm of HKU, and on the boards of Sunevison Holdings Ltd and China.com Ltd, listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. He is very active in technology transfer. The co-author of seven US patents licensed for commercial exploitation, he also co-founded Accosys Ltd. with his PhD student. One of these patents, United States Patent No. US 6,543,053 B1, has been cited 343 times, and according to the Technology Transfer Office of HKU, is the most highly cited patent of HKU. He served as the Convenor of the Strategic Research Theme of Information Technology at HKU, and as Co-Director of the Area of Excellence in Information Technology funded by the Hong Kong government. He is the Chair of the Executive Committee, HKU Initiative on Clean Energy and Environment, an interdisciplinary research project with researchers from Engineering, Science, Architecture, and Social Science, and Director, HKU-Cambridge Clean Energy and Environment Research Platform. He is also a Member of the AsiaGlobal Fellows Faculty Committee of the Asian Global Institute. Sought by government, industry, and academic organizations, he has lectured and consulted extensively around the world. Prof. Li chaired the Computer Communications Technical Committee of the IEEE Communications Society 1987-1989, and the Los Angeles Chapter of the IEEE Information Theory Group 1983-1985. He co-founded the International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (IC3N), and chaired its Steering Committee1992-1997. He also chaired various international workshops and conferences, including IEEE INFOCOM 2004 and IEEE PIMRC 2015. Prof. Li has served as an editor of IEEE Network, IEEE JSAC Wireless Communications Series, ACM/Springer Wireless Networks, IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, Telecommunication Systems, and Springer Networking Science. He also guest edited special issues of IEEE JSAC, Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, and KICS/IEEE Journal of Communications and Networking. Prof. Li has been appointed to the Central Policy Unit and to the Hong Kong Information Infrastructure Advisory Committee by the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR). He has also served on various other HKSAR advisory committees, including the Innovation and Technology Fund (Electronics) Vetting Committee, the Small Entrepreneur Research Assistance Programme Committee, the Engineering Panel of the Research Grants Council, and the Task Force for the Hong Kong Academic and Research Network (HARNET) Development Fund of the University Grants Committee. He was a Distinguished Lecturer at the University of California at San Diego, at the University of London, at the National Science Council of Taiwan, and at the California Polytechnic Institute. Prof. Li has also delivered keynote speeches at many international conferences. He has received numerous awards, including the PRC Ministry of Education Changjiang Chair Professorship at Tsinghua University, the UK Royal Academy of Engineering Senior Visiting Fellowship in Communications, the Outstanding Researcher Award of HKU, the Outstanding Research Student Supervisor Award of HKU, the Croucher Foundation Senior Research Fellowship, and the Bronze Bauhinia Star, Government of HKSAR, China. He is a Fellow of the Hong Kong Academy of Engineering Sciences, the IEEE, the HKIE and the IAE.
- Zhu, J.Y., Sun, S.C., and Li, V.O.K. “An extended spatio-temporal Granger Causality Model for air quality estimation with heterogeneous urban big data,” accepted for publication, IEEE Trans. on Big Data.
- Lam, A.Y.S., Leung, K.C., and Li, V.O.K., “Vehicular energy network,” accepted for publication, IEEE Trans. on Transportation Electrification.
- Guo, T., Guo, B., Ouyang, Y., Yu, Z., Lam, J.C.K., Li, V.O.K., “CrowdTravel: Scenic spot profiling by using heterogeneous crowdsourced data,” accepted for publication, Springer Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing.
- Guo, P., Li, V.O.K., and Lam, J.C.K., “Smart demand response in China: Challenges and drivers,” Elsevier Energy Policy, Vol. 107, Aug 2017, pp. 1 – 10.
- Lin, J., Li, V.O.K., Leung, K.C., and Lam, A.Y.S., “Optimal power flow with power flow routers,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 32, No. 1, Jan 2017, pp. 531 – 543.
- Chen, Y., Yang, L., Cheng, Y., and Li, V.O.K., “A teacher-student framework for zero-resource neural machine translation,” Proc. Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), Vancouver, Canada, July 2017.
- Gu, J., G. Neubig, K. Cho, and Li, V.O.K., “Learning to translate in real-time with neural machine translation,” Proc. EACL, Valencia, Spain, April 2017. (This research was reported in the trade magazine Slator: Language Industry Intelligence in Oct 2016 as “Significant progress in real-time machine translation.”)
- Gu, J., Lu, Z., Li, H., and Li, V.O.K., “Incorporating copying mechanism in sequence-to-sequence learning,” Proc. Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), Berlin, Germany, Aug 2016.
- Wen, M.H.F. and Li, V.O.K., “Optimal phasor data compression unit installation for wide-area measurement systems – An integer linear programming approach,” IEEE Trans. on Smart Grid, Vol. 7, No. 6, Nov 2016, pp. 2644 – 2653.
- Hong, J. and Li, V.O.K., “Minimum required information to achieve a performance target in a network with memoryless states,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 63, No. 10, Oct 2015, pp. 3754 – 3764.
- Lam, A.Y.S., Leung, K.C., and Li, V.O.K., “Capacity estimation for vehicle-to-grid frequency regulation services with smart charging mechanism,” IEEE Trans. on Smart Grid, Vol. 7, No. 1, Jan 2016, pp. 156 – 165.
- Shuai, Q. and Li, V.O.K., “HTSC and FH_HTSC: XOR-based codes to reduce access latency in distributed storage systems,” KICS/IEEE Journal of Communications and Networks, Special Issue on Big Data Networking – Challenges and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 6, Dec 2015, pp. 582 – 591.
- Yu, J.J.Q. and Li, V.O.K., “A Social Spider Algorithm for solving the non-convex Economic Load Dispatch Problem,” Elsevier Neurocomputing, Vol. 171, pp. 955 – 965, Jan. 2016.
- Niu, G., Fan, X., Li, V.O.K., Long, Y., and Xu, K., “Multi-source-driven asynchronous diffusion model for video-sharing in online social networks,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Vol. 16, No. 7, Nov 2014, pp. 2025 – 2037.
- Chim, T.W., Yiu, S.M., Li, V.O.K., Hui, L.C.K., and Zhong, J., “PRGA: Privacy-preserving recording & gateway-assisted authentication of power usage information for smart grid,” IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, Vol. 12, Issue 1, Jan 2015, pp. 85 – 97.
- Fan, X., Li, V.O.K., and Xu, K., “Fairness analysis of routing in opportunistic mobile networks,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 63, No. 3, Mar 2014, pp. 1282 – 1295. (Conference version received the Best Paper Award, Mobile Applications and Services Track, IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Spring 2011, Budapest, Hungary, May 2011.)
- Wen, M.H.F. and Li, V.O.K., “Form follows function: Designing smart grid communication systems using a framework approach,” IEEE Power & Energy Magazine, Vol. 12, No. 3, May/June 2014, pp. 37 – 43.
- Chim, T.W., Yiu, S.M., Hui, L.C.K., and Li, V.O.K., “VSPN: VANET-based secure and privacy-preserving navigation,” IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 63, No. 2, Feb 2014, pp. 510 – 524.
- X. Fan, G. Niu, and V. O. K. Li, “An analytical model for the propagation of social influence,” in Proceedings of IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Nov. 2013. (Best Paper Award of the Conference.)
- Song, B. and Li, V.O.K., “A hybridization between memetic algorithm and semidefinite relaxation for the Max-Cut Problem,” Proc. Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, July 2012. (Best Paper Award, Evolutionary Combinatorial Optimization and Metaheuristics Track.)
- Hong, J. and Li, V.O.K., “The effect of information on scheduling performance in multi-hop wireless networks,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 9, No. 10, Oct 2010, pp. 3238 – 3246.
- Geng, Y. and Li, V.O.K., “A framework to analyze network performance based on information quality,” Proc. IEEE International Conference on Communications, Cape Town, South Africa, May 2010. (Best Paper Award, Next Generation Networking and Internet Symposium.)
- Lam, A.Y.S. and Li, V.O.K., “Chemical-reaction-inspired metaheuristic for optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 14, No. 3, June 2010, pp. 381-399.
- Leung, K.C., Li, V.O.K. and Yang, D.Q., “An overview of packet reordering in Transmission Control Protocol (TCP): Problems, solutions, and challenges,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 18, No. 4, April 2007, pp. 522 – 535.
- Leung, K.C. and Li, V.O.K., “Generalized load sharing for packet-switching networks I: Theory and packet-based algorithm,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 17, No. 7, pp. 694-702, July 2006.
- Wang, W., Liew, S.C., Li, V.O.K., “Solutions to performance problems in VoIP over 802.11 wireless LANs,” IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 54, No. 1, Jan 2005, pp. 366 – 384.
- Li, C.Y., Wai, P. K. A., Li, V.O.K., “The decomposition of a blocking model for connection-oriented networks,” IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking, Vol. 12, No. 3, June 2004, pp. 549 – 558.
- Yuan, X. C., Li, V.O.K., Li, C.Y., Wai, P. K. A., “A novel self-routing address scheme for all-optical packet switched networks with arbitrary topology,” IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 21, No. 2, Feb 2003, pp. 329 – 339.
- Li, V.O.K. and Zhang, Z.C., “Internet multicast routing and transport control protocols,” Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 90, No. 3, March 2002, pp. 360 – 391.
- Cao, Y. and Li, V.O.K., “Scheduling algorithms for broadband wireless networks,” Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 89, No. 1, January 2001, pp. 76 – 87.
- M.Z. Win, X. Qiu, R.A. Scholtz and V.O.K. Li, “ATM Based Time-Hopping Spread-Spectrum Multiple-Access Network for Multimedia PCS,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Comm., Vol. 17, No. 5, May 1999, pp. 824 – 836. (Conference version received the Best Student Paper Award of 4th Annual NetWorld+Interop Engineer Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, May 1997.)
- J. Ju and V.O.K. Li, “An optimal topology-transparent scheduling method in multihop packet radio networks,” IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking, Vol. 6, No. 3, June 1998, pp. 298 – 306.
- Ngo, C.Y. and Li, V.O.K., “Fixed channel assignment in cellular radio networks using a modified genetic algorithm,” IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 47, No. 1, February 1998, pp. 163 – 172.
- Abutaleb, A. and Li, V.O.K., “Paging strategy optimization in Personal Communication System,” ACM/Baltzer Wireless Networks, Vol. 3, No. 3, July 1997, pp. 195 – 204.
- W.J. Liao and V.O.K. Li, “The Split and Merge (SAM) Protocol for Interactive Video-on Demand Systems,” IEEE Multimedia, Vol. 4, No. 4, Oct-Dec 1997, pp. 51 – 62. (Won the Best Research Paper Award, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, 1997. United States Patent No. US 6,543,053 B1, April 1 2003.)
- V.O.K. Li and W.J. Liao, “Distributed multimedia systems,” Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 85, No. 7, July 1997, pp. 1063 – 1108.
- Li, V.O.K., Liao, W.J., Qiu, X.X., and Wong, E., “Performance model of interactive video-on-demand systems,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Comm., Volume 14, No. 6, August 1996, pp. 1099 – 1109.
- V.O.K. Li and X.X. Qiu, “Personal Communication Systems (PCS),” Proc. of the IEEE, Volume 83, No. 9, pp. 1210 – 1243, September 1995.
- K.C. Lee and V.O.K. Li, “A wavelength-convertible optical network,” IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, Volume 11, No. 5, May 1993, pp. 962-970.
- Wu, C.S. and Li, V.O.K., “Receiver-initiated busy-tone multiple access in packet radio networks,” ACM Computer Communication Review, Vol. 17, No. 5, 1987, pp. 336-342.
- T.C. Hou and V.O.K. Li, “Transmission range control in multihop packet radio networks,” IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol. COM-34, No. 1, January 1986, pp. 38-44. (Invited Distinguished Lecture, IEEE Symposium on Ad Hoc Mobile Wireless Networks, held in conjunction with IEEE GLOBECOM 2001, San Antonio, Texas, USA, November 2001.)
- Li, V.O.K., and Silvester, J.A., “Performance analysis of networks with unreliable components,” IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol. COM-32, No. 10, Oct. 1984, pp. 1105-1110.
- Larson, R.C. and Li, V.O.K., “Finding minimum rectilinear distance paths in the presence of barriers,” Networks, Vol. 11 (1981), pp. 285-304.
Download the paper “Network of Queues: Myth and Reality“.
Download the paper “Double Random Element: Definition, Property, and Example“.