Dr. V.W.L. Tam
BA (CompStud) HK; M.Phil (CS) HK; Ph.D. (CS) Australia
Office: CB 707
Dr. Vincent W.L. Tam
Research InterestsAd-hoc and wireless sensor networks, human-computer interaction, ubiquitous computing and learning, I.C.T. in education. Before joining the University of Hong Kong, Vincent was an academic fellow in the School of Computing, the National University of Singapore from 1998 until 2001. During this period, Vincent was the winner of the Innovative Teaching Award – 2000 among 80+ teaching staff in the School of Computing. In 2010-11, Vincent was awarded with the Best Teacher Award in the Faculty of Engineering, the University of Hong Kong. Dr. Tam has over 70 internationally refereed publications, including 5 book chapters, 10+ journal papers and 50+ conference papers. His main research interests include information visualization, mobile computing and wireless sensors, in which he established collaboration with famous institutions in Australia, England, Japan and the U.S.A. Besides, Dr. Tam is interested to apply the latest wireless or interactive technologies for developing useful educational software and their sound applications in e-learning. Furthermore, he is active in serving international conferences and reviewing for reputable journals. Vincent served as the Publication Chair of ICTAI’05, the Co-organizer of a Special Session in CCNC 2008, the Guest Editor of a Special Issue in the IEEE Learning Technology Newsletter and also the PC members of the IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI’00 – ’07, except ’02), the Asia Pacific Symposium on Information Visualization (APVIS 2006 & 2007), the International Conference on ICT in Teaching and Learning (ICT 2006 – 2009), the IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM) 2007, the IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC 2007 – 2010), and the IEEE International Symposium on Communications and Information Technologies (ISCIT 2007 – 2009). Vincent is the Principal Investigators (PIs) or Co-Investigators of various university-funded or externally awarded research projects, including a research project entitled “An Innovative and Pen-Based COMPAD Platform to Enhance Education and Research in Computer Systems” awarded by the Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA) under the Mobile Computing in Education Theme 2008. In recognition of his experience in managing e-learning related projects, the EDB invited him to serve as the (part-time) Project Manager of an EMB project for developing E-Learning Training Package to support all AS-level Computer Applications and AL-level Computer Studies teachers in Hong Kong in 2006, and later as the (part-time) Deputy Project Director of another EDB-funded project for developing learning and teaching packages to support the ICT Elective of the New Senior Secondary (NSS) curriculum. In 2008, Vincent and his team won the Bronze Award of the ICT 2008 Awards – Best Lifestyle supported by the HKSAR Government. Vincent is a Senior Member of the IEEE (SMIEEE) – Hong Kong Section. Moreover, he is listed in the Marquis’s 9th Edition of “Who’s Who in Science & Engineering” (September 2006), and also invited to be listed in “Who’s Who in Asia” (Premier Edition, December 2006). For detail, check Dr. Tam’s personal webpage at: https://www.eee.hku.hk/~vtam
Selected PublicationsScholarly Books, Monographs and Chapters
- Tam V.W.L. and Kwan A.C.M., “Intelligent Visualization Techniques for Reusable Learning Objects to Facilitate An Online Learning Environment, In: P. Tsang, R. Kwan and R. Fox”, Enhancing Learning Through Technology, World Scientific, 2006, 199 – 208.
- Tam V.W.L., Zexian Liao, C.H. Leung, Lawrence Yeung and Alvin Kwan “An Interactive Simulation Game to Enhance Learners’ Experience on Ubiquitous Computing Devices”, In the book of “Advanced Learning” [ISBN 978-953-307-010-0], edited by Raquel Hijón-Heira, pages 141 – 152, the I-Tech Education and Publishing, Kirchengasse 43/3, A-1070 Vienna, Austria, EU, December 2009.
- Tam V.W.L. and Johnny Yeung “Integrating Wireless Sensors and the ZigBee Networks to Monitor the Efficiency of Workflow in Manufacturing Plants”, (accepted for publication) In the book of “ZigBee Network Protocols and Applications”, edited by Qian Zhang, Chonggang Wang, and Tao Jiang, published by the Auerbach Publications, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 2010.
- Tam V.W.L., Cheng K.Y. and Wong Lui K.S., “Using Micro-Genetic Algorithms to Improve Localization in Wireless Sensor Networks”, Journal of Communications, The Academy Publisher, 2006, 1: 1 – 10.
- Ma K.T., Cheng K.Y., Wong Lui K.S. and Tam V.W.L., “Data Centric Storage with Diffuse Caching in Sensor Networks”, Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Journal, Wiley, 2007.
- Cheng K.Y., Wong Lui K.S. and Tam V.W.L., “Localization in Sensor Networks with Limited Number of Anchors and Clustered Placement”, IEEE Wireless Communications & Networking Conference (WCNC). 2007.
- Tam V.W.L., Cheng K.Y. and Wong Lui K.S., “A Descend-Based Evolutionary Approach to Enhance Position Estimation in Wireless Sensor Networks”, Proceedings of the IEEE 18th International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI’06). the IEEE Computer Society, 2006.
- Tam V.W.L., Ma K.T. and Wong Lui K.S., “An Adaptive Framework with Multiple Schemes for Event and Query Distribution in Wireless Sensor Networks”, Proceedings of IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC’07). 2007.
- Tam V.W.L., Kwan A.C.M., Leung C.H., Yeung L.K. and Liao Z., “An Interactive Simulation Game to Enhance Learners’ Experience On Mobile Devices”, Proceedings of the International Conference on ICT in Teaching and Learning (ICT 2007). 2007.
- Tam V.W.L., Cheung S.W., Fok W., Lui K.S., Wong J. and Yip B., “Turning Mobile Phones into A Mobile Quiz Platform to Challenge Players’ Knowledge: An Experience Report”, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT 2008), IEEE Computer Society Press, Santander, Cantabria, Spain, July 1 – 5, 2008.
- Tam V.W.L., Cheung S.W. and Wong Lui K.S., “TD-SCDMA Application Award”, Hong Kong Cyberport TD-SCDMA Service Development Center, HKWDC. 2007.
- Tam V.W.L., Leung C.H., Lam E. and Salter D., “Microsoft Research Asia Award on Mobile Computing in Education”, the Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA), 2008.