Dr. W.N. Lee
Ph.D., M.Phil., M.S., B.S.
Office: CB 520
Dr. W.N. Lee
Novel medical ultrasound techniques, such as ultrafast ultrasound imaging, strain imaging and shear wave imaging, particularly for cardiovascular applications; Biomedical imaging; Image processing.
Wei-Ning Lee received her B.S. and M.S. degrees in electrical engineering from National Taiwan University (Taipei, Taiwan) and her Ph.D. degree in biomedical engineering from Columbia University (New York, NY, USA). Dr. Lee then pursued her postdoctoral training at Institut Langevin in ESPCI ParisTech (Paris, France), where she carried out a pioneer work on mapping myocardial fibers by ultrasound elastic tensor imaging. Dr. Lee joined the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and the Medical Engineering Program, at the University of Hong Kong as an Assistant Professor in September in 2012. Her main research interests include novel medical ultrasound techniques—ultrafast ultrasound imaging, strain imaging and shear wave imaging, imaging and mechanics of cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems, and image processing. She is a member of the IEEE Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control Society, is currently an Academic Editor of PLOS ONE, and serves on the International Advisory Board of Physics in Medicine and Biology. She received the New Investigator Award at the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM) Annual Convention in 2009 an Early Career Award from 2013/14 Hong Kong Research Grants Council.
- Y. Zhang+, Y. Guo+, and W.-N. Lee*, “Ultrafast ultrasound imaging using cascaded dual-polarity waves,” IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 906-917, 2018.
- Y. Guo+, Y. Wang+, E. J.-H. Chang+, and W.-N. Lee*, “Multi-directional estimation of arterial stiffness using vascular guided wave imaging (VGWI) with geometry correction,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 884-896, 2018.
- Zhang+, Y. Guo+, and W.-N. Lee*, “Ultrafast ultrasound imaging using combined transmissions with cross-coherence-based reconstruction,” IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 337-348, 2018.
- Y. Guo+, H. Lo+, and W.-N. Lee*, “Transmural Transverse Stiffness Estimation in Vascular Shear Wave Imaging: A Simulation and Phantom Study,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 110, 193701, 2017.
- H. Li+ and W.-N. Lee*, “Effects of tissue mechanical and acoustic anisotropies on the performance of a cross-correlation-based ultrasound strain imaging method”, Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 62, pp. 1456-1479, 2017.
- H. Li+, Y. Guo+, and W.-N. Lee*, “Systematic performance evaluation of a cross-correlation-based ultrasound strain imaging method”, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 2436-2456, 2016.
- M. pernot, W.-N. Lee, A. Bel, P. Mateo, M. Couade, M. Tanter, B. Crozatier, and E. Messas, “Shear wave imaging of passive diastolic myocardial stiffness: stunned versus infarcted myocardium,” Journal of American College of Cardiology- Cardiovascular Imaging, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 1023-1030, 2016.
- X. Yu, Y. Guo, S.-M. Huang, M.-L. Li, and W.-N. Lee*, “Beamforming Effects on Generalized Nakagami Imaging,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 60, pp. 7513-7531, 2015.
- Y.-Y. Liao, W.-N. Lee, M.-J. Lee, W.-S. Chen, H.-J. Chiou, T.-T. Kuo, and C.-K. Yeh, “Carpal tunnel syndrome: US strain imaging for diagnosis,” Radiology, vol. 275, no. 1, pp. 205-214, 2015. (Featured article)
- W.-N. Lee, B. Larrat, M. Pernot, and M. Tanter, “Ultrasound Elastic Tensor Imaging: Comparison with MR Diffusion Tensor Imaging in the myocardium,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 57, no. 16, pp. 5075-5095, 2012. (Featured Article)
- W.-N. Lee, M. Pernot, M. Couade, E. Messas, P. Bruneval, A. Bel, A. A. Hagège, M. Fink, and M. Tanter, “Mapping Myocardial Fiber Orientation using Echocardiography-Based Shear Wave Imaging,” IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 554-562, 2012.
- W.-N. Lee, J. Provost, K. Fujikura, J. Wang, and E. E. Konofagou, “In Vivo Study of Myocardial Elastography under Graded Ischemia Conditions”, Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 1155-1172, 2011. (Selected reading listed in 2013 Special Report: ASE Roadmap for 2020)
- W.-N. Lee, Z. Qian, C. L. Tosti, T. R. Brown, D. N. Metaxas, and E. E. Konofagou, “Preliminary Validation of Angle-Independent Myocardial Elastography Using MR Tagging in a Clinical Setting,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 2008 Dec; 34(12):1980-97.
- W.-N. Lee, C. M. Ingrassia, S. D. Fung-Kee-Fung, K. D. Costa, J. W. Holmes, and E. E. Konofagou, “Theoretical Quality Assessment of Myocardial Elastography with In Vivo Validation,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control, Vol. 54, No. 11, pp.2233-2245, 2007.