Tel.: 3917 8491
Office: CB 607
Gordon W.Y. Fu
Research Assistant Professor
III-V Semiconductors, nanophotonic devices, optical materials, bandgap engineering, monolithic integrated photonic system, nanostructured devices characterization and modelling
Dr. Gordon W. Y. Fu received his B.Eng. and M.Phil. degrees in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the University of Hong Kong and his Ph.D. degree in Materials Science from University of Cambridge (UK) under the supervision of Prof. Sir Colin Humphreys with a sponsorship of the Croucher scholarship. He then worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow in the University of Hong Kong under the supervision of Prof. HW Choi. His research focuses on modelling, characterization and fabrication of nano-optoelectronic devices based on III-V semiconductors.
- W. Y. Fu, and H. W. Choi, “Phosphor-free InGaN nanopillar white LEDs by random clustering of mono-sized nanospheres,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 118, p. 201106 (2021).
- W. Y. Fu, and H. W. Choi, “Strain-induced spectral red-shifting from nanoscale frustum arrays fabricated over InGaN/GaN quantum wells for light-emitting applications,” ACS Applied Nano Materials, vol. 4, pp. 666 (2021).
- K. H. Li, W. Y. Fu, and H. W. Choi, “Chip-scale GaN integration,” Progress in Quantum Electronics, 70, 100247 (2020).
- C. H. To, W. Y. Fu, K. H. Li, Y. F. Cheung, and H. W. Choi, “GaN microdisk with direct coupled waveguide for unidirectional whispering-gallery mode emission,” Optics Letters, 45, 791 (2020).
- F. Tang, T. Zhu, W.-Y. Fu, F. Oehler, S. Zhang, J. T. Griffiths, C. Humphreys, T. L. Martin, P. A. J. Bagot, M. P. Moody, S. K. Patra, S. Schulz, P. Dawson, S. Church, J. Jacobs, and R. A. Oliver, “Insight into the impact of atomic- and nano-scale indium distributions on the optical properties of InGaN/GaN quantum well structures grown on m-plane freestanding GaN substrates,” Journal of Applied Physics, 125, 225704 (2019).
- W. Y. Fu, and H. W. Choi, “Explaining relative spectral red shifts in InGaN/GaN micropillars”, Optica, 5, 765 (2018).
- K. H. Li, W. Y. Fu, Y. F. Cheung, K. K. Y. Wong, Y. Wang, K. M. Lau and H. W. Choi, “Monolithically integrated InGaN/GaN light-emitting diodes, photodetectors, and waveguides on Si substrate”, Optica, 5, 564 (2018).
- T. Zhu, Y. Liu, T. Ding, W. Y. Fu, J. Jarman, C. X. Ren, R. V. Kumar and R. Oliver, “Wafer-scale Fabrication of Non-Polar Mesoporous GaN Distributed Bragg Reflectors via Electrochemical Porosification”, Scientific Report, 7, 45344 (2017).
- T. Zhu, D. Gachet, F. Tang, W. Y. Fu, F. Oehler, M. J. Kapper, P. Dawson, C. J. Humphreys and R. A. Oliver, “Local carrier recombination and associated dynamics in m-plane InGaN/GaN quantum wells probed by picosecond cathodoluminescence”, Applied Physics Letters, 109, 232103 (2016).
- S. Zhang, Y. Cui, J. T. Griffiths, W. Y. Fu, C. Freysoldt, J. Neugebauer, C. J. Humphreys, and R. A. Oliver, “Difference in linear polarization of biaxially strained InxGa1−xN alloys on nonpolar a-plane and m-plane GaN”, Physical Review B, 92, 245202 (2015).
- J. T. Griffiths, S. Zhang, B. Rouet-Leduc, W. Y. Fu, A. Bao, D. Zhu, D. J. Wallis, A. Howkins, I. Boyd, D. Stowe, M. J. Kappers, C. J. Humphreys, and R. A. Oliver, “Nanocathodoluminescence Reveals Mitigation of the Stark Shift in InGaN Quantum Wells by Si Doping”, Nano Letters, 15, 7639 (2015).
- S. L. Rhode*, W. Y. Fu*, M. A. Moram, F. C. -P. Massabuau, M. J. Kappers, C. McAleese, F. Oehler, C. J. Humphreys, R. O. Dusane, S.–L. Sahonta, “Structure and strain relaxation effects of defects in InxGa1-xN epilayers”, Journal of Applied Physics, 116, 103513 (2014). (*equal contribution)
- Z. Zhang, W. Y. Fu, D. Holec, C. J. Humphreys, M. A. Moram, “Elastic constants and critical thicknesses of ScGaN and ScAlN”, Journal of Applied Physics, 114, 243516 (2013).
- Z. Zhang, D. Holec, W. Y. Fu, C. J. Humphreys, M. A. Moram, “Tunable optoelectronic and ferroelectric properties in Sc-based III-nitrides”, Journal of Applied Physics, 114, 3510 (2013).
- Y. Zhang, W. Y. Fu, C. J. Humphreys and R. Lieten, “Structural Characterisation of Improved GaN Epilayers Grown on a Ge(111) Substrate”, Applied Physics Express, 4, 091001 (2011).
- W. Y. Fu, M. J. Kappers, Y. Zhang, C. J. Humphreys, M. A. Moram, “Dislocation Climb in c-plane AlN Films”, Applied Physics Express, 4, 065503 (2011).
- W. Y. Fu, K. K. Y. Wong and H. W. Choi, “Room temperature photonic crystal band-edge lasing from nanopillar array on GaN patterned by nanosphere lithography”, Journal of Applied Physics, 107, 063104 (2010).
- X. H. Wang, W. Y. Fu, P. T. Lai and H. W. Choi, “Evaluation of InGaN/GaN light-emitting diodes of circular geometry”, Optics Express 17, 22311 (2009).
- W. Y. Fu, K. K. Y. Wong and H. W. Choi, “Closed-packed hemiellipsoid Arrays: A photonic band gap structure patterned by nanosphere lithography”, Applied Physics Letter, 95, 133125 (2009).
- W Y. Fu, K. N. Hui, X. H. Wang, K. K. Y. Wong, P. T. Lai and H. W. Choi, “Geometrical Shaping of InGaN Light-Emitting Diodes by Laser Micromachining”, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 21, 1078 (2009).
- H. W. Choi and W. Y. Fu, “Strain-inducing Nanostructures for Spectral Red-shifting of Light Emitting devices”, PCT Patent WO/2018/166414 (2018).
- W. Y. Fu and H. W. Choi, “Nanosphere Lithography for Nitride Semiconductors,” in Lithography, M. Wong, Ed. Vukovar, Croatia: Intech, Feb 2010.