Dr. Yun Yang
Honorary Research Assistant Professor
Yun Yang received his B.Sc. degree in Electrical Engineering from Wuhan University in 2012. He then obtained his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering and Power Electronics from The University of Hong Kong in 2013 and 2017, respectively. From November 2017 to August 2020, he was a Postdoctoral-Fellow in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Hong Kong.
Dr. Yang joined the Department of Electrical Engineering of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University as a Research Assistant Professor in August 2020 and the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering of the University of Hong Kong as an Honorary Research Assistant Professor in December 2020. He is a member of IEEE and served as Session Chairs of 2018 IEEE PELS Workshop on Emerging Technologies: Wireless Power (WoW), 2020 8th International Conference on Power Electronics Systems and Applications (PESA), 2021 IEEE 12th Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition-Asia (ECCE-Asia 2021), and Technical Committee Members of International Conference on Electrical Engineering and Control Technologies (CEECT), PESA and ICWPT. He has authored or coauthored more than 40 technical papers, including 10 leading journals published as the first author. He also has two book chapters and two U.S. patent applications (S. Y. R. Hui and Y. Yang, “Battery Charging System and Method Using Dynamically Adjusted Voltage Threshold for Switching Charging Modes,” U.S. Patent: 62/852,143, May 2019; S. Y. R. Hui and Y. Yang, “A Wireless Battery Charging System and Method for Battery Charging and Handshaking,” U.S. Patent:62/906,180, Sept. 2019). Dr. Yang serves as a peer reviewer for various journals and conferences, including TPE, TSG, TIE, TII, TCST, APEC, ECCE, etc.
Selected Book Chapters:
- Y. Yang, S. C. Tan, and S. Y. R. Hui, “Control Algorithms for Energy Storage Systems to Reduce Distribution Power Loss of Microgrids,” in Active Electrical Distribution Network: A Smart Approach, Chapter 7B, Publisher: Wiley, May 2021.
- Y. Yang, S. C. Tan, and S. Y. R. Hui, “Fast hardware approach to determining mutual coupling of series-series-compensated wireless power transfer systems with active rectifiers,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 11026-11038, Oct. 2020.
- Y. Yang, Y. Qin, S. C. Tan, and S. Y. R. Hui, “Reducing distribution power losses of AC microgrids using predictive control for distributed electric springs,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 67, no. 10, pp. 9001-9011, Oct. 2020.
- Y. Yang, S. C. Tan, and S. Y. R. Hui, “Front-end parameter monitoring method based on two-layer adaptive differential evolution for SS-compensated wireless power transfer systems,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 6101-6113, Nov. 2019.
- Y. Yang, Y. Qin, S. C. Tan, and S. Y. R. Hui, “Efficient improvement of photovoltaic-battery systems in standalone DC microgrids using a local hierarchical control for the battery system,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 10796-10807, Nov. 2019.
- Y. Yang, S. C. Tan, and S. Y. R. Hui, “Mitigating distribution power loss of DC microgrids with DC electric springs,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 5897-5906, Nov. 2018.
- Y. Yang, W. Zhong, S. Kiratipongvoot, S. C. Tan, and S. Y. R. Hui, “Dynamic improvement of series-series compensated wireless power transfer systems using discrete sliding mode control,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 6351-6360, Jul. 2018.
- Y. Yang, S. C. Tan, and S. Y. R. Hui, “Adaptive reference model predictive control with improved performance for voltage-source inverters,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 724-731, Mar. 2018.
- Y. Yang, S. S. Ho, TAN, S. C. Tan, and S. Y. R. Hui, “Small-signal model and stability of electric springs in power grids,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 857-865, Mar. 2018.
- Y. Yang, K. T. Mok, S. C. Tan, and S. Y. R. Hui, “Nonlinear dynamic power tracking of low power wind energy conversion system,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 5223-5236, Sept. 2015.