New class of high performance nanostructure materials through their unique low-cost and solution-based formation techniques for photonic/photovoltaic devices
Platform Technology Fund (PTF) 2016/2017:
Prof. Wallace C.H. Choy (PI)
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
University of Hong Kong
Recently, organic-inorganic hybrid/ all-inorganic perovskites have been a hot topic for forming optoelectronic devices such as solar cells, photodetectors and light emitting diodes (LEDs) because of their low cost and high performance. For instance, since the first report in 2009, the power conversion efficiency of perovskite solar cells on regular glass substrate has increased dramatically and achieved certified 23.3%, surplus the domestic Si based solar cell modules manufacturing nowadays. Most of the state-of-art perovskite photovoltaic devices are made from multilayered structures of carrier (hole and electron) transport layers, and perovskite active layer.
In this downstream project, we will develop unique low-cost and solution-based processed nanostructure systems addressing the needs of each of the layers to improve device performances of not only the optical and electrical properties and thus device efficiency but also the stability, scalability and mechanical flexibility for practical and emerging applications. We will study:
- Metal oxide/dichalcogenide nanostructures as efficient top and bottom carrier transport layers (CTLs).by low-temperature water-free solution approaches
- Three-dimensional (3-D) nanostructure design for high-quality and stable mixed cation metal halide perovskite film formation through novel low-temperature solution-process scheme via the new concept of 3-D nanostructure intermediates.
- Microfabrication-process-free periodic 2-D and 3-D nanopattern device architectures for enhancing optical and electrical properties. through a unique concept of the solid-liquid-solid phase transformation to achieve microfabrication-process-free solution-based formation of periodic perovskite nanogratings.
Co-Is of the project: Wei Sha (EEE), M.H. Xie (Physics), X.D. Cui (Physics), Tony S.P. Feng (ME), Jason W.D. Li (ME)
1. We have developed a number of novel metal oxide nanomaterials as carrier transport layers of solar cells and LEDs. The results have been published in high-impact journal papers and filed/applied patents.
2. We have developed novel nanostructural intermediate adducts for improving quality of perovskites for high performance and stable perovskite solar cells. The results have been published in high-impact journal papers and filed/applied patents.
3. We have demonstrated novel nanograting structure directly integrated with waveguide all in perovskite materials by solution process for improving optical properties and performances of perovskites devices. The results have been published in conference and manuscript is preparing for journal publications and filed/applied patents.
- W.C.H. Choy, J.Q. Cheng, “Nickel Oxide Decorated Graphene Oxide”, Patent Application Pending, PCT/CN2017/110786 was filed in Nov 2017.
- W.C.H. Choy, Z.F. Huang, Y.D. Ou, “Ultra-small p-type Ternary Metal Oxides”, Patent Application Pending, US Provisional Application No. 62/702,088 was filed in July 2018.
- J. Cheng, W.C.H. Choy*, et al. "Self-assembled Quasi-3D Nanocomposite: A Novel p-Type Hole Transport Layer for High Performance Inverted Organic Solar Cells", Adv Funct. Mater., DOI:10.1002/adfm.201706403.
- J. Cheng, W.C. H. Choy*, et al.“Pre- and post-treatments free nanocomposite based hole transport layer for high performance organic solar cells with considerably enhanced reproducibility”, Nano Energy, 34, 76, 2017
- W.C.H. Choy, H. Zhang, “Ligand Modified Perovskite Optoelectronic Devices”, Patent Application Pending. US Provisional Application No. 62/577,419 was filed in Oct 2017.
- H. Zhang, W.C.H. Choy*, et al. "Toward All Room-Temperature, Solution-Processed, High-Performance Planar Perovskite Solar Cells: A New Scheme of Pyridine-Promoted Perovskite Formation", Adv. Mater., vol. 29, p.1604695 (7 pp), 2017. (IF=19.791)
(featured as the inside back cover of Adv. Mater.)
- W.C.H. Choy, J. Mao, “Fabrication of Perovskite Periodic Arrays for Optoelectronic Applications”, Patent Application, PCT Publication No. WO 2018/018481
- Wallace C.H. Choy*, Mao Jian, “Novel Microfabrication-free Solution-based Approach for Forming Periodically Nanostructured Perovskite for Photovoltaic and LED Applications”, MRS 2017, Boston, 26 Nov-1 Dec 2017.
Other relevant and non-confidential materials that could illustrate the excellence and impact of the group
Regarding strategic plan on green energy, our works have (1) been recognized by world leading scientists such as Micheal Grätzel (pioneer of perovskite solar cells) from EPFL to work with us and have some joint publications (e.g. Adv. Mater., vol. 29, p.1604695 (7 pp), 2017) (2) have been followed by others, (3) attracted world leading scientists to visit us and give us talks (such as Jinsong Huang (North Carolina), Yanfa Yan (Toledo, former Principal Scientist of NREL) and David Mitzi (Duke, serving IBM for 23 year and as project manager before resuming teaching position in Duke). Our work will strengthen our reputation in the future in the fields and favor funding raising and collaboration with industries to bring new green energy technologies for future.