Research Postgraduate Admission
General Qualifications for Admissions
The basic qualification necessary for admission to postgraduate studies, whether by research or coursework, is a good honours degree from HKU or an equivalent qualification from comparable institutions. In addition, certain degree courses have more specific requirements. Qualifying examinations to test the applicants’ abilities to follow the prescribed courses and/or interviews may be conducted.
Applicants with qualifications other than an honours degree will be considered on their individual merits. Applicants with qualifications from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong where the language of teaching or examination is not English are required (unless exceptionally exempted) to obtain
- 1. a score of 550 or above (paper-based test) or 80 or above (internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or
- 2. a minimum overall band of 6 with no subtest lower than 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
- 3. grade C or above in either the Overseas General Certificate of Education, the International General Certificate of Secondary Education, or the Cambridge Test of Proficiency in English Language.
TOEFL applicants should request the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send an official score report to the University (TOEFL code 9671) direct.
Since places for postgraduate studies are limited, it may not be possible to offer admission to all qualified applicants.
Application form for all research postgraduate programmes are available from the Academic Services Enquiry Office and the Graduate School office, and can be downloaded from the Graduate School’s website at http://www.gradsch.hku.hk. Applicants should state clearly the curriculum they wish to follow and the completed application forms should be returned to the Graduate School by the appropriate closing dates.
All candidates for the research degrees will be required to follow an approved course of study and research including coursework, from both the Graduate School and the Department.
Departmental Coursework Requirement (2015-2016)
- MPhil students – ELEC7001; and 3 RPG elective courses (or 2 RPG elective courses and 1 MSc course subject to approval)
- PhD students – ELEC7001; and 4 RPG elective courses (or 3 RPG elective courses and 2 MSc courses subject to approval)
- 3-year PhD students can apply for exemption of certain number of courses for the coursework requirement.
Course Outlines & Course Offered
Please check out here for RPG course outlines and course offered in current year.