Research Postgraduate Admission
General Qualifications for Admissions
The basic qualification necessary for admission to postgraduate studies, whether by research or coursework, is a good honours degree from HKU or an equivalent qualification from comparable institutions. In addition, certain degree courses have more specific requirements. Qualifying examinations to test the applicants’ abilities to follow the prescribed courses and/or interviews may be conducted.
Applicants with qualifications other than an honours degree will be considered on their individual merits. Applicants from institutions outside HK where the language of instruction and examination is not entirely in English are required to obtain
- 1. a score of 550 or above (paper-based test) or 80 or above (internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or
- 2. a minimum overall band of 6 with no subtest lower than 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
- 3. grade C or above in either the Overseas General Certificate of Education, the International General Certificate of Secondary Education, or the Cambridge Test of Proficiency in English Language.
TOEFL applicants should request the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send an official score report to the University (TOEFL code 9671) direct.
Since places for postgraduate studies are limited, it may not be possible to offer admission to all qualified applicants.
Please refer to HKU Graduate School’s website for more details on MPhil/PhD admission and contact your proposed supervisor (https://www.eee.hku.hk/research/research-interests/) directly for any opportunity.
How to apply: https://www.gradsch.hku.hk/gradsch/prospective-students/how-to-apply
Applicants should state clearly the curriculum they wish to follow, complete the online application form and upload all required supporting documents onto the system by the appropriate closing dates.
All candidates for the research degrees will be required to follow an approved course of study and research including coursework, from both the Graduate School and the Department.
Departmental Coursework Requirement
For MPhil students:
– ELEC7001; and
– 3 RPg elective courses (or 2 RPg elective courses and 1 MSc course)
For 4-year PhD students:
– ELEC7001; and
– 4 RPg elective courses (or 3 RPg elective courses and 2 MSc courses)
For 3-year PhD students:
– ELEC7001 (can be exempted if the student had completed and passed ELEC7001 in his/her MPhil degree); and
– 2 RPg elective courses
Candidates are required to make an oral presentation of their research proposal as part of the procedure for the confirmation of candidature. Each candidate is also required to give at least one research seminar before submission of the thesis title.
Course Outlines & Course Offered